Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,935   Posts: 1,585,617   Online: 725

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

"Bellows wrinkle??" Calling all native English speakers

I am looking at a Mamiya RB body at KEH. The description says
    RB67 PRO-SD WITHOUT WAISTLEVEL BELLOWS WRINKLE MEDIUM FORMAT SLR MANUAL FOCUS CAMERA BODY
    The condition is EX. I know that all bellows are sort of wrinkled, that's how they fold. But does this mean a defect on this particular item? I understand that you do not work at KEH but I am curious to know if you natives could inform me if this is a normal phrase that means that the bellows are somewhat damaged?

r

Mats
    Digital is for communication, film is for documentation.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/studiopirilo

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I think it means that the bellows has a slight fault - usually in one of the corner folds which won't be folded perfectly any more.
    This is probably nothing to worry about - my older LF cameras have a few of these in the bellows and they aren't a problem. *Pinholes* in the bellows would be a bigger issue as they can let in light leaks.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It doesn't make sense, I'd email and ask them

Probably someone's bad description of bellows.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Mats,
    The wording in that description is a bit unusual.
    The use of the word wrinkle (and in this context), normally means something is wrong.
    Email KEH, and get a clarification, maybe a photo of the camera with bellows extended.

English is my native language, (American English), and the use of the word wrinkle,
    while trying to describe the condition of camera bellows, is confusing to me,
    (and probably to most English language users), so don't feel bad about asking.

I think KEH should use words like "the folds" or "the creases" have issue, but not wrinkle.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have a bellows that has a wrinkle. Its a crease that won't fold properly, and appears wrinkled instead of flat like the other creases. It has no ill effect on the use of the bellows, but I suspect it may shorten the life span of it.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks all. As usual this site is a goldmine of information. I have sent an email to KEH asking for some clarification. I just wanted to check that I wasn't going to ask a completely silly question. Looking stupid is easier among people who already knows you are not the sharpest knife in the drawer.

r

Mats

Shooter
    Multi Format

Bellows Wrinkle

I wouldn't think twice about it :KEH grade pretty much on cosmetics : ie the wrinkle may offend your eye, but it is unlikely to offend your film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It probably means that the [double] bellows is a bit caved in or bent in an area. But you can call them to find out for sure. They may even take a pic for you.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    When I get a wrinkle in the bellows of my RB67, I get out my iron and ironing board and fix it!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    KEH says
    A bellows "wrinkle" just means that there is
    a significant crease in the bellows that is perpendicular to the bellows folds.
    I have asked if it's purely cosmetical but since it's Saturday it might take a while for me to get an answer.

Can someone with experience of bellow cameras (or RB 67:s) please inform me if this is an issue. I don't mind ugly but if it affects functionality and lifetime of bellows that's something else.
    All KEH items are prewrapped and stored. I don't think I can get a picture of it.

Decisions, decisions.....

r

Mats

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin