Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,952   Posts: 1,557,968   Online: 1044

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    So it's designed to focus correctly with a filter in place, so to compensate for not having a filter, a flat piece of glass needs to be there instead.

Was it supplied with a (non) filter?

Also, the depth of field would be huge. I assume it's only really an issue when used wide open.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    So it's designed to focus correctly with a filter in place, so to compensate for not having a filter, a flat piece of glass needs to be there instead.

Was it supplied with a (non) filter?

Also, the depth of field would be huge. I assume it's only really an issue when used wide open.

Steve.
    Mamiya supplies the lens with a couple of filters yes - including a (clear) UV filter. One of them always needs to be in place. I'd also just like to address your last statement, which is a bit of a misconception - the field (in front of the lens, in subject space) is indeed very deep, but the focus (at the film plane) is extremely shallow. Wide angle lenses are much less tolerant of any inaccuracy of distance between the lens and the film. A slight problem behind a 37mm lens will mean a great deal more than the same problem behind a 200mm lens.

Think about it - focusing, say, a 21mm lens on a 35mm camera from infinity down to a 1 metre moves the lens assembly less than 3mm - imagine how sensitive this space is to inaccuracies! Compared to, say, a 200mm lens, that has to move a great deal (a couple of centimeters) to achieve the same focus distance.

Lenses with a deep depth of field (wide angle lenses) have shallow depth of focus at the film, and lenses with a shallow depth of field (e.g. telephoto lenses) have a deep depth of focus at the film. Mamiya 37mm lenses have awesome depth of awesomeness all 'round

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I've got the version for the 645 - the 24/4.0. It's got a built-in filter turret, so there is always a piece of glass in place and there's no chance of misplacing the UV one. It is one gorgeous piece of glass, and takes amazing pictures.

Duncan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    do you think there is a noticeable difference between the C and newer KL version?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    better coatings, at the very least.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by dodphotography View Post
    do you think there is a noticeable difference between the C and newer KL version?
    Just to clarify, there was never a K/L version made in RB mount (mechanical shutter) - only a Sekor-C version. The Sekor-Z version for the RZ system appears to be optically identical (based on studying all the optical diagrams I could find) simply with an electronic shutter. As Ed said, it may have revised coatings (though the flare-resistance of the C version is extraordinary already, difficult to improve upon!)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I WANT ONE!

Never seen that one before..

I WANT ONE!

I NEED ONE!

I have a Bronica ETRS 37mm and love it!

but one for the RB?...

I WANT ONE!
    Anyone can make a Digital print, but only a photographer can make a photograph.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by polyglot View Post
    Dammit, I'm still looking for one of these...
    I found one here on APUG. Can't say I've done much good with it yet, but there you go.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by polyglot View Post
    I found one here on APUG. Can't say I've done much good with it yet, but there you go.
    Photo taken with RB 67 Fisheye, f/22 and long exposure on tripod.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1_spad+B 52sh8K.jpg  

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin