Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,291   Posts: 1,535,432   Online: 812

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    4x5 Format

Mamiya Sekor-C 37mm f/4.5 Fisheye for RB - what a fun lens...

I've been using this lens for almost a year. from an easthetic and build quality point of view, it has the most gorgeous glass I have ever seen, the front element is absolutely huge, and it weighs a ton.

I am, however, having a lot more fun with this lens than what I first expected. It's very reawrding to try and compose images which do not have the "fisheye look" to them. These were two recent prints I made (both from Ilford HP5+):

Dry and Drying

Hand in darkness

As with most good fish-eyes, resolving power and contrast are extraordinary (all elements of the design can be tailored to this, since no distortion correction is necessary) but what I find particularly enjoyable is that this lens cannot be made to flare or produce ghost images, even with the sun right in the frame, or (as per my second shot) a very bright light shining into the lens.

This is an extremely multi-character lens that I only really learnt to value after a couple of months of use. It has a permanent place in my RB kit now, that's for sure (to the great disdain of my acheing body that has to carry the massive weight!).

Any other users here?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I always wanted a fisheye for my RB67 but couldn't afford one right now. I do have an FD fisheye for my Canon FD cameras. I think it is a great lens.

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Wow, I want that lens for my RB67 Pro S!!! I see the RZ67 version is still for sale new, only $2800, yowzah! I imagine the RB version was similarly expensive when new. Even used I only see one on eBay at the moment but at 500 quid ($780) BIN I think I'll have to hold off.

I have a Peleng 8mm f/3.5 circular fisheye for Pentax (and Canon adapters). It is fun but the flare is awful, just dreadful, made in Belarus. I see a cheap Ukranian copy is available for Mamiya but wonder if the flare will be as bad? Probably...
    Last edited by hpulley; 03-29-2011 at 06:52 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Harry Pulley - Visit the BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE FORUM

Happiness is...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I lookup KEH sometime ago, the fisheye lens was about $695.

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    hi Dawid -

It is a great lens. I have the RZ67 version, and really enjoy it. It's not without some flaws though. Right at the edge of the frame there is a bit of smearing and chromatic aberration, which is just part of the inherent design limitations. (I've had 2 of these, so it's not just a particular copy that does it.). Still, excellent and very sharp. Stopped-down to f/8 or better, it's as sharp in the center and with as much contrast as the ULD 50mm for the RZ, which is saying something. The close-focus capabilities are crazy, you can get down to focusing on things actually touching the front of the lens. Smearing and aberrations get pretty rough around the edges though when it's that close to the subject, but to be expected I suppose.

It is a heavy gorgeous beast, no question. The front element is so wide and deep it looks like you could go swimming in it. ;-)

You can also put it on a 4x5 and get round circular fisheye images too. Usually that means removing the petal hood, but that can be done with a spanner wrench (e.g. removable and replacable front section).

Price-wise usually the RZ version goes for something like $600-1000+, depending on condition. RB versions are usually almost as much. Partly due to rarity and also partly due to the RB version also being pretty easy to use on larger format cameras (due to manual built-in shutter vs. electronic shutter in RZ version).

-Ed

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Hi Ed, good to hear from you! It's great that you also have this lens - you addict you. The optics between the RZ and RB version are identical. I have never seen the edge CA because I only shoot B&W :-) Enjoy yours, I am enjoying mine...

Quote Originally Posted by EdSawyer View Post
    hi Dawid -

It is a great lens. I have the RZ67 version, and really enjoy it. It's not without some flaws though. Right at the edge of the frame there is a bit of smearing and chromatic aberration, which is just part of the inherent design limitations. (I've had 2 of these, so it's not just a particular copy that does it.). Still, excellent and very sharp. Stopped-down to f/8 or better, it's as sharp in the center and with as much contrast as the ULD 50mm for the RZ, which is saying something. The close-focus capabilities are crazy, you can get down to focusing on things actually touching the front of the lens. Smearing and aberrations get pretty rough around the edges though when it's that close to the subject, but to be expected I suppose.

It is a heavy gorgeous beast, no question. The front element is so wide and deep it looks like you could go swimming in it. ;-)

You can also put it on a 4x5 and get round circular fisheye images too. Usually that means removing the petal hood, but that can be done with a spanner wrench (e.g. removable and replacable front section).

Price-wise usually the RZ version goes for something like $600-1000+, depending on condition. RB versions are usually almost as much. Partly due to rarity and also partly due to the RB version also being pretty easy to use on larger format cameras (due to manual built-in shutter vs. electronic shutter in RZ version).

-Ed

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Dammit, I'm still looking for one of these...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by philosomatographer View Post
    I've been using this lens for almost a year. from an easthetic and build quality point of view, it has the most gorgeous glass I have ever seen, the front element is absolutely huge, and it weighs a ton.

I am, however, having a lot more fun with this lens than what I first expected. It's very reawrding to try and compose images which do not have the "fisheye look" to them. These were two recent prints I made (both from Ilford HP5+):

Dry and Drying

Hand in darkness

As with most good fish-eyes, resolving power and contrast are extraordinary (all elements of the design can be tailored to this, since no distortion correction is necessary) but what I find particularly enjoyable is that this lens cannot be made to flare or produce ghost images, even with the sun right in the frame, or (as per my second shot) a very bright light shining into the lens.

This is an extremely multi-character lens that I only really learnt to value after a couple of months of use. It has a permanent place in my RB kit now, that's for sure (to the great disdain of my acheing body that has to carry the massive weight!).

Any other users here?
    I have this lens too - and like you have tried trees as a subject to conceal the distorted image. I've noticed some lateral colour that can be removed from scanned images in PS. Did yours come with a full set of filters? Mine had just the UV. A filter needs to be used at all times or the lens won't quite focus to infinity. I found some 40.5mm contrast filters for b/w and had the mounts thinned on a lathe to allow clearance for the camera's mirror. I also made a R72 IR filter using a stepping ring and a 43mm glass. The fisheye distortion can be removed with software giving a 2:1 aspect ratio. I have seen photos of a number of these lenses and the serial numbers all seem to start 11000. Mine is 11020 - maybe that means it's the 20th one made? What is the serial number on yours?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sounds like a similar design to the Peleng! It also takes rear filters and has a horrible ring of chromatic abberation which is mostly hidden in B&W.
    Harry Pulley - Visit the BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE FORUM

Happiness is...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Mine came with the 3 B&W oriented filters (yellow, red, etc.) - I think newer ones come with color-correction filters (81A, etc.). Basically any slim 40.5mm rear-mount filter should work. Polarizers, even... ;-) Agreed that a filter needs to be in place at all times for optical correctness.

most RZ lens numbers start at I think 10000, though 11000 sounds feasible too. They didn't make too many of these, which accounts for the scarcity.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin