Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,645   Posts: 1,481,245   Online: 820

Shooter
    Medium Format

I don't think my Mamiya M645 is behaving normally...

Hi guys, I've been lurking here for a while, and unfortunately, I'm introducing myself to get help with my new camera.

Today, I picked up a Mamiya M645 with AE prism finder and 80mm lens.

I just ran a roll through, and I think I did something wrong, but I've scoured the web and I've read the manual from cover to cover, and still can't figure out what I'm doing wrong.

I loaded a roll of film, and it advanced to the first frame without an issue. Here's where things get confusing, and where I'm having trouble finding answers.

1) First, after I shoot a frame, the viewfinder goes black, and stays black. I've read this is normal for some Mamiya models, but couldn't get an answer for mine - is this normal?

2) The exposure counter didn't move from 1, though I eventually made my way through to the end of the roll.

I'm going to get my film processed tomorrow morning and maybe that will give me more answers, but could there be something obvious that I'm missing here?

Could it be a faulty film insert?

I'm pretty sure I loaded the film correctly as I followed both the manual and videos I found online.

If anyone can help, it would very much be appreciated.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Which model of Mamiya M645 do you have? Have you checked the battery?
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Medium Format
    It's the original M645. The battery check works fine and the meter lights up just fine.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Make sure that the shutter dial on the body is at the "o" mark (it's the dot within a circle). Otherwise, after each shot, the mirror will fail to return for some time. It will act as if there is no battery installed. As for the frame counter, it could just need an adjustment. Since that model is over 30 years old (I know mine is!) it could just need a cla.

Cheers

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I do have the shutter dial on the "o" mark. I'm going to get another battery regardless but the meter lights up just fine and the battery indicator works.

Also - after I click the shutter, in order to be able to wind the crank to advance the film, I have to firmly press the upper shutter button down one more time. Otherwise, I can't turn the crank to advance the film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Is it in mirror up shooting mode?
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by markbarendt View Post
    Is it in mirror up shooting mode?
    Nope, not in MU mode.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Try taking off the prism and shooting a frame

Shooter
    Medium Format

a little late...

i don't have an ae prism, so i don't know. does the ae prism have it's own battery? does it use the camera power? if it has a separate battery, maybe the camera battery is ng?

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin