Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,678   Posts: 1,482,134   Online: 976

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format

Horseman 985 'graflock' & Mamiya rb67 backs?

I've just bought a wonderful Horseman 985 mf field camera with the 69 back. It is a really great thing to use.

I have an old mamiya rb67 back hanging around which I want to use on the horseman. The plastic plates on the interface part of both the mamiya and horseman backs look identical. Without measuring I can't see any differences, yet I cant get the retaining sliders on the mini 'graflock' back to fit with the rb67 back.

Does anyone have any experience with this issue? Is there a modification that can be made to the rb back to make it fit? I've googled but can't find a definitive answer.

I can wedge the back in place, and it works ok, but there are a few light leaks so it's not really a solution.

Thanks in advance.

xya

Shooter
    Medium Format
    hello leon,

obviously the horseman attachments are a bit thicker than the mamiya ones. I had the inverse problem to fix a horseman back to a mamiya 23 graflock back. the mamiya sliders wouldn't slide over the horseman back. by adding a thin washer under the sliders it worked, but then the mamiya attachments wobbled a bit. so try to add a tiny strip of hard plastic sheet between the back and the sliders, just where the sliders would go (upper side, not camera side). if it works, glue them. it solved my problem anyway. hope it helps.

reinhard

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Hmm, I had a VH and the fit was perfect with the 6x7 and 6x8 backs. Perhaps the 985 is a little bit different. What Reinhard suggests sounds reasonable- some sort of shim or light seal.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks guys - I double checked the back, and there were a couple of thin plastic shims stuck inside that were preventing the back being mounted properly! Reinhard - I think you must be clairvoyant. I;ve removed them and the rb67 mounts perfectly, and the horseman 69 also mounts with no problem. I wonder why they were there??? no matter now though.

thanks once again

Leon

xya

Shooter
    Medium Format
    hello leon,

there is a horseman 6x9 polaroid back which is bit thicker than normal attachments. maybe someone used this an that camera. anyway, nice to hear that the problem is solved.

kind regards

reinhard

Shooter
    Medium Format
    BTW - I've put together a short video review of the camera to show how it all works (I found there was a shortage of info online).

You can view it here

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Damn you Leon... I had never seen a Horseman 985 but it's exactly what I want MF with tilt/shift/rise ect...

Nice video though... Now I just have to explain to the wife....

~M
    "Your first 10,000 photographs are your worst." Henri Cartier-Bresson

Guess I have a long ways to go :-)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Leon View Post
    Thanks guys - I double checked the back, and there were a couple of thin plastic shims stuck inside that were preventing the back being mounted properly! Reinhard - I think you must be clairvoyant. I;ve removed them and the rb67 mounts perfectly, and the horseman 69 also mounts with no problem. I wonder why they were there??? no matter now though.

thanks once again

Leon
    Could you describe this in more detail? I've tried to mount my RB67 backs (PRO-S and PRO-SD) on my 985 without success. There is a gap between the camera and the back. What shims do you mean?

thanks
    steffen
    Last edited by Steffen Alexander; 12-21-2011 at 04:15 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    steffen - they were thin pieces of adhesive backed plastic about 2 cm long and 4mm wide and 0.5mm thick - these were stuck on the lips at the back - I removed them. I have two rb67 backs that I use without issue now. they fit fine with no gap at all.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Have you used the Mamiya back yet? I'm curious if the film plane (spacing relative to the ground glass) is the same.
    "Far more critical than what we know or do not know is what we do not want to know." - Eric Hoffer

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin