Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,943   Posts: 1,557,708   Online: 1237

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Antique Cameras

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yes. That makes sense.
    I love the smell of fixer in the morning...It smells like...PHOTOGRAPHY!

The photo blog has moved...
    I Love Film : by Susan McNutt, the mad photographer

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I also have a 122 folder. There was a guy on Photo.net a few years back who was converting large rollfilm folders into panoramic 120s. The results were amazing. All you really need are some spacers for the spools and a down and dirty mask to keep the film from bowing in the frame. A red window in the right spot would be nice, but you get so few images on a roll you could just advance with the "count the turns method". You might want to give it a try before you hack it apart for the 4x5 mod.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Rusbarsky View Post
    I also have a 122 folder. There was a guy on Photo.net a few years back who was converting large rollfilm folders into panoramic 120s. The results were amazing. All you really need are some spacers for the spools and a down and dirty mask to keep the film from bowing in the frame. A red window in the right spot would be nice, but you get so few images on a roll you could just advance with the "count the turns method". You might want to give it a try before you hack it apart for the 4x5 mod.
    I agree. I've made masks with posterboard and with aluminum flashing (watch the sharp edges!) I used fiber plumbing washers to set the right film width on an original take-up reel to avoid having to adjust too many things and I fit spacers into the sides of the place where the new roll of film goes. Counting turns of the handle is easy if you don't mind uneven spacing of the images - you only get a few on each roll anyway. It's nice to have 2 1/4" x 5" pictures from my old Kodak 3A folder on 120 film.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Here is a link to converting a 616 folder to use 120 film. The general idea could be applied to 122 cameras I imagine.

http://kodak.3106.net/download/616pa...sion-RevBE.pdf

Len

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It ain't cheap, but 122 film is available:

http://www.centralcamera.com/Film/Fi...ck-White-Film/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    There was a recent auction on eBay for 9 rolls of 122 film that went for $59 and some change. The stuff was 1939 expiration, IIRC. I wonder how film manufactured in 1935 or thereabouts works today?

The purpose of the 3A cameras with their 122 film was postcard sized contact prints you could mail to your friends and relatives. Although I understand that some professional post card photographers used them as well. Such cameras would be kind of fun if you could get film for them for, say, five bucks a roll; or if you could get 3.5" (90mm) film to respool.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by guitstik View Post
    The trick to rolling your own is to unroll the film and paper loose in your hand. That is, as you take it off of the roll, re-roll it loosely in your catch hand. The film is taped at the spool end onto the paper and when you re-roll onto the 122 or 620 spool pull it tight. If you unroll onto one spool first, the film will bunch up at the taped end and make it hard to re-roll. Does that make sense?
    Absolutely. I took TWO 120 backing papers and cut down some paper for the camera and that's exactly how I did it. Kind of a pain but since I could do it with the red light, not too terrible.
    I love the smell of fixer in the morning...It smells like...PHOTOGRAPHY!

The photo blog has moved...
    I Love Film : by Susan McNutt, the mad photographer

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin