Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,056   Posts: 1,561,388   Online: 1058

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Antique Cameras

Shooter
    Multi Format

Antique Cameras

I just did purchase a 1912 Ansco folding camera from evil-bay this evening. It's my early b-day present.

Earlier today (since I took a day off from work), I found this site :

http://www.rolandandcaroline.co.uk/h...memade4x5.html

which I'm going to TRY and make over my summer vacation. (Wouldn't THAT have made a GREAT paper for school - What I Did on My Summer Vacation!) Hubby is even going to help because I'm not allowed sharp objects (we've had some massive fiascos where a blade was embedded in the webbing between index finger and thumb, chipping the bone) unless it's a dremel. I'll order a double sided film plate and we'll build the body around that. More research is needed, though.

From what I've found online regarding the Ansco camera, the one I purchased was used to make postcard photos with roll film. I doubt if I can get any film large enough (experience talking - using 120 in my Brownie Box). I have a feeling I'll end up sticking a roll of 120 in this one and giving her a good test to see if the bellows are light tight. The description says the bellows are tight but I'll test it for myself.

Any suggestions on where to find a manual, though? (I like to read.) I've found ONE manual...but it has a lens that isn't a fixed focus.

Oh...ONE other question...How does one go about putting in the viewing screen in a film plate camera? (Making one, basically.) How does that work?

Thanks!

Susan
    I love the smell of fixer in the morning...It smells like...PHOTOGRAPHY!

The photo blog has moved...
    I Love Film : by Susan McNutt, the mad photographer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    hi susan

you might have trouble loading your camera with 120 film
    in december/ january i purchased a 3a camera
    and now roll cut down sheets of 5x7 or 8x10 rc paper down and tape them end to end
    and respool the film spools with paper. it works pretty well

as for a viewing screen ..
    waxed paper works wonders ...

good luck with your new camera !
    john

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks John. I use 120 in my Duaflex - I sand down the ends of the spools and it works really well. The Ansco folder I bought takes the equivalent of Kodak's 122 film. The 122 seems to be a bit larger (wider) than the 120 film...but so is the 116 that is supposed to go in my Brownie Box. (Wall plugs are a nice fix for that!) I get a bit of light leakage with the Brownie box...but it looks like vignetting so I really don't mind as that's the look that I'm going for - and confusing historians down the road! ;D

As for the film plate camera...wax paper I understand...but (this is where I need to do a LOT of research), just HOW exactly does the film plate sit in relation to the wax paper? This might be a silly question...but I'm totally new to film plates. I've thought about and thought about it...and decided that I better figure them out. Why? Because they're neat and I'm a camera freak.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The ground glass sits on the same plane as the film, supposedly. The easiest way to set your GG up is to have a back that will take a frame, usually recessed with locking tabs to hold it in place. Decide on what type of film holders you are going to use and design your camera back around that.
    Thy heart -- thy heart! -- I wake and sigh,
    And sleep to dream till day
    Of the truth that gold can never buy
    Of the bawbles that it may.

www.silverhalidephotography.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by guitstik View Post
    The ground glass sits on the same plane as the film, supposedly. The easiest way to set your GG up is to have a back that will take a frame, usually recessed with locking tabs to hold it in place. Decide on what type of film holders you are going to use and design your camera back around that.
    That's about what I figured. Hubby suggested that I just order a double sided film holder and we build the camera body around that.

If that's the case, I can use paper OR sheet film. I found an old discussion here about using tanks vs. trays. I'm still reading that one as it's time for me to hit the sack.

Thanks for the explanation. I'll go back to reading and thinking about this one.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    122 film was more than 5" wide so the 3a format could take 3.5x5.5 views
    i have a 116 camera as well, but i respool that too since like my 3a i have 2 spools ..

what i did for my viewing screen is
    make a sandwich with a square hole and put the waxed paper in the "frame"
    it slides into a box which is the camera.
    when you look in the back you can see the image on the waxed paper ..
    and remove it / replace it with a film / paper holder to expose.

i make my paper holders from the same materials but instead of being
    a square hole all the way through both boards, i only make the square in
    one hole, so it is the same distance from the lens as the ground glass ( paper ).
    the main think you have to remember with making film / paper / plate holders
    is the T-distance is the critical measurement -
    it is the place the lens focuses so the film / plate / paper has to
    be the same place / distance as the ground glass &C.

its really not that difficult and if you are able to "stop your lens down"
    you can be a little off and it doesn't really matter.

have fun !
    john

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pinhole_dreamer View Post
    Hubby suggested that I just order a double sided film holder and we build the camera body around that.
    That's usually the best way.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Susan,
    You can actually buy 122 film at Central Camera:
    http://www.centralcamera.com/Film/Fi...Older-Cameras/
    I've been tempted for one or two of my oldies, but it's pretty expensive.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Sethasaurus View Post
    You can actually buy 122 film at Central Camera:
    http://www.centralcamera.com/Film/Fi...Older-Cameras/
    I've been tempted for one or two of my oldies, but it's pretty expensive.
    That's the whole reason why I'm going to go about this the hard way. I'm cheap...but husband is cheaper than I am. I don't mind having to roll film if that's what it takes. *shrugs* At least I'll learn something I didn't know before.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The trick to rolling your own is to unroll the film and paper loose in your hand. That is, as you take it off of the roll, re-roll it loosely in your catch hand. The film is taped at the spool end onto the paper and when you re-roll onto the 122 or 620 spool pull it tight. If you unroll onto one spool first, the film will bunch up at the taped end and make it hard to re-roll. Does that make sense?
    Thy heart -- thy heart! -- I wake and sigh,
    And sleep to dream till day
    Of the truth that gold can never buy
    Of the bawbles that it may.

www.silverhalidephotography.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin