Switch to English Language Passer en langue franšaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 75,210   Posts: 1,659,375   Online: 877

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Lens separation- influence on image quality?

Hi All,

I came across a very nice Rollie TLR, unfortunately with some separation in the taking lens. Will this affect image quality? Loss of contrast perhaps? Would it help to stop down?

Thanks, Sander
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails separation.jpg  

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    If the dark area is the region of separation, then it might not be too bad. But if that is the remaining unseparated zone, then it will probably be disastrous. I was once offered the use of a Rollei with a separated taking lens, and the images were useless even for a 1960s offset-printed newspaper (probably a 60- or 100-line halftone screen).

You could do a test, but be aware that the condition is not going to fix itself, and will probably get worse with time.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    The dark area is the separation. It will indeed probably get worse, yes. But I'm just wondering about the now for now.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    It would only cost one roll of film (assuming that you have access to the camera) to find out. Be sure to try closeup, infinity, backlight, flat field (like a brick wall) and straight lines (really good brick wall, or the equivalent). Color if that your area of interest. It is possible that there are mechanical issues within the lens besides the visible separation, so various type of correction could be compromised.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I don't have the camera at hand, unfortunately. Thanks for the tips though.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    That separation won't affect the image quality. And the getting worse part will probably take many years.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Separation can be strange. I have owned a lens with very similar separation and it took fine images for about 2 years, wherein the shutter died and i couldn't justify saving it. That said, i don't know how quickly it can spread. If it's a steal of a deal, get it, use it and if things get bad, then you have a nice shelf item (or future investment in lens repair seeing as though those cameras aren't being made anymore).
    K.S. Klain

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dpurdy View Post
    That separation won't affect the image quality. And the getting worse part will probably take many years.
    Thanks, that's obviously what I wanted to here

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Klainmeister View Post
    (or future investment in lens repair seeing as though those cameras aren't being made anymore).
    I have asked a well-respected Rollei repair man to give me a rough quote of the repair cost, but he seems a bit slow to answer. I'm expecting something in the 150-250 USD range, although honestly I really don't have a clue how much this type of repair costs.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Can a lens like that be repaired? If so, then I'm sure you can get a great deal on the Rollei.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  Ś   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin