Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,765   Posts: 1,484,088   Online: 958

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

Mamiya TLR Lenses

Are the lenses for Mamiya TLRs interchangeable across the body models?
    ie. will a set that fits a C220 fit a C330 and a C33, etc?

Thanks

stoog

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    They should be, yes. However, my early model 18cm lens does not fit my C33, while it does fit my C220. It is strange, because it is an early lens, and the C33 is an older camera than the C220.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The only incompatibilities that you might encounter (as far as I'm aware) concern the functions on the bodies (C3, C33 and C330) that automatically cock the shutters on the lenses when the film is wound. 2F/2F's example is most likely one of those, because the C220 does not include this feature. Have you seen Graham Patterson's excellent resource on all things Mamiya TLR?: http://www.btinternet.com/~g.a.patte...-contents.html
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Have not seen that resource. Looks to be the Mamiya TLR Fount of Knowledge.
    Thanks!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Or http://www.gapatterson.com/grahamp
    I still need to find time for a final re-write and regenerate the web pages.
    I feel, therefore I photograph.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've had some body/lens combinations where the body would not properly cock the lens. I had to put a very short piece of aquarium tubing on the end of the cocking mechanism. That body would work with some lenses but not others. Could have been an adjustment issue.
    "Far more critical than what we know or do not know is what we do not want to know." - Eric Hoffer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The arc needed to cock the shutter is quite precise. If the taking lens/shutter is not positioned correctly, or there is wear on the camera arm, the cocking arm does not latch. This is possibly due to a little slack in the mounting that allowed repeated cocking to rotate the assembly. If all lenses have the same problem, sleeving the cocking arm is a good choice.

This is one of the reasons certain early 180mm lenses have trouble on auto-cocking bodies - the shutter cocking stroke is different.
    I feel, therefore I photograph.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by grahamp View Post
    This is one of the reasons certain early 180mm lenses have trouble on auto-cocking bodies - the shutter cocking stroke is different.
    In the case of my 18cm lens on my C33, that is not the problem. The lens simply won't mount, as the retaining ring at the rear of the taking lens is too large to fit the hole on the body.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Ias that the origianl retaining ring? Maybe it's been changed? Can be changed to a smaller one? See if the threads are the same as your other lenses?
    Anyone can make a Digital print, but only a photographer can make a photograph.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm not sure if the retaining rings are original. They seem like it, though, and I used to have another 18cm lens that acted the same way. It would not fit my C33, but it fit a C220 fine.

What/when was the first model that had auto shutter cocking? Was this feature there on the C3, or did it start with the C33 (or maybe even the plain Mamiyaflex)? And what was the first year that the 18cm lens came out? What I am thinking is that perhaps my lens is very early, maybe made when auto shutter cocking was not yet available on any model. Since the auto shutter cocking mechanism makes the mounting hole in the body smaller, perhaps Mamiya started using smaller retaining rings when the first self-cocking model was introduced. If this is the case, then knowing whether or not this can be indicated by the use of 180mm as opposed to 18cm would also be a good thing to know. It would also be good to know if this is the case with any other early lenses.
    2F/2F

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin