Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,956   Posts: 1,586,030   Online: 773

Shooter
    Medium Format

Rolleinuts, do I have a Frankenrollei??

I have a Rolleiflex 2.8E(1) with a Xenotar 2.8, and Synchro-Compur shutter, it's serial number is 1.637.029.

Everything a normal E(1) model has... except no meter.

It has the studs for the diffuser, but no meter and no scale on the focus knob.

I can't explain it. I know it's not an E(2) or E(3) as they have much later serial numbers and different features which this camera does not have.

Could it be a one-off E(1)?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The meter could be purchased separately, and some cameras did not come with the meter.

2.8 E with Xenotar without meter = $279.95 [1958]

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    It might have come through a guy on ebay who bought and sold a lot of Rolleis and always took the meter out and changed the knob to the meterless knob. He did it because he thought a lot of Rolleis had bad meters and he didn't want people to return cameras for that reason.
    There is also the fact that back in the day a lot of people thought the meter knob stuck out too far and had it taken off and replaced with that flatter one.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    The meter could be purchased separately, and some cameras did not come with the meter.

2.8 E with Xenotar without meter = $279.95 [1958]

Oh wow, never knew it was an "option"...

When cleaning the Fresnel I could see a pair of wires that go from where the meter would be to the focus knob, so essentially they pre-wired them for meters then.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by dpurdy View Post
    It might have come through a guy on ebay who bought and sold a lot of Rolleis and always took the meter out and changed the knob to the meterless knob. He did it because he thought a lot of Rolleis had bad meters and he didn't want people to return cameras for that reason.
    There is also the fact that back in the day a lot of people thought the meter knob stuck out too far and had it taken off and replaced with that flatter one.

While I know that wasn't the case with this one (it was my grandfather's) but it's interesting to know that there are variations on the size meter scale...

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin