Switch to English Language Passer en langue franÁaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,821   Posts: 1,581,862   Online: 1089

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Cinema......Congratulations on the purchase. I have 2 bodies and the 40 Distagon, 2 80's, and the 150. The stated caveats are well advised and with care it should not let you down. I've had one body for over 20 years and it's never been serviced. I occasionally check the shutter speeds on both bodies with my tester and they still are within 10% of dead on up to a 60th. I still have about 20 rolls of Verichrome left and will take one out for old times sake. The lenses are obviously sharp but give a "classic" look to prints. I also studied the "Edge of Darkness" by Barry Thornton. I highly recommend his book as he was probably one of the masters of the Rollei SL66. Amazon.com does have copies of it as I just checked their site. Pick one up, you'll be glad you did....................

tw
    Last edited by Brickbird; 04-19-2011 at 01:22 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have SL66E, I like it a lot, but it is a bit heavy. Shooting macros with it is fun, here some flowers with Planar 80mm HFT.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails flowers.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    An SL66 is a great camera, wish I had one!

Jeff

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The SL66 is a wonderful camera to work with. All my lenses are older non-HFT ones and so far I have not run into any problems with flare, but I am careful to always shoot with a lens hood in place.

These two photos are from my recent exhibit of black and white portraits. Both were shot with the 150mm Sonnar lens which Iíve found to be extremely sharp. With a high powered loupe I can easily read the date and time on the digital watch that the man in the family photo is wearing. Itís even possible to make out the fibers of the watch band.

Enjoy your new (to you) camera!
    Adrian
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Eric Tannenbaum_Spring 2009.jpg   Koreen Family_Fall 2009.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    great images, guys. Any recommendations for ball heads that I can use with this camera? not looking to spend a fortune. I have a digiball but this is by far the biggest camera in my stable and its not big enough. i heard the tilt when used can get in the way of a lot of tripod heads.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I had one years and years ago - but I thought that the built in bellows made the thing a bit too klunky and awkward for me... I thought the hasselblad system was better for my purposes. I sold the SL66 for $150 to the local photo shop in the early 90s (they said there was low demand so they couldn't give much for it... ack)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Anywho, I went with an arca swiss monoball. Should be fun finding a plate that works... just kidding!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cinema View Post
    Anywho, I went with an arca swiss monoball. Should be fun finding a plate that works... just kidding!
    That's the one I use with my SL66.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by rich815 View Post
    great, how does it handle the tilt? do you just use the universal plate?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rich815 View Post
    I bought two plates for the head years ago, I think from RRS. At the time I bought them for specific camera bodies I had, I now forget which I bought for specifically but one is rectangular and one square. I use either on the SL66 and just make sure I mount the plate in a way that does not interfere with the tilt.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  ó   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin