Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,904   Posts: 1,584,594   Online: 906

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    No reason for embarrassment, we were all there at one point.

It took me a while to understand that I needed to fold back the paper a bit to make the lick and stick tape work.
    Mark Barendt, Beaverton, OR

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    35mm
    After lick n stick or peel and stick I put mine in a ziplock bag. I've had more trouble with dirt fron them rollong around loose than anything else. And don't be embarrassed. Nobody was born with MF film licking procedures as instinctual behavior. Well, maybe Callow.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JBrunner View Post
    After lick n stick or peel and stick I put mine in a ziplock bag. I've had more trouble with dirt fron them rollong around loose than anything else. And don't be embarrassed. Nobody was born with MF film licking procedures as instinctual behavior. Well, maybe Callow.
    It's weird, though. After having not shot medium format in about 30 years, that whole motion came back to me immediately when I finished the first roll in my Mamiya 645! It's the peel-n-stick I can't get used to. I want to lick the thing... (Actually I lick my thumb, then use it to moisten the paper and roll it tight, all in one move.)

Duncan

North America just north of that sharp right turn North America makes on the Atlantic coast.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Lick it and stick it, if you really don't trust that you can put it into an M&M's minis container (after eating the M&M's) and keep it in there until you are ready for processing.
    "Would you like it if someone that painted in oils told you that you were not making portraits because you were using a camera?"
    "Shouldn't it be more about the joy of producing and viewing the photo than what you paid for the camera?"

Me

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    It's never occurred to me before but I knew more about handling 120 films than 35mm films, when I started studying photography seriously. My parents had a Box Brownie when I was young, so licking and sticking seemed normal. It was those pesky little 35mm things that left me feeling inadequate...

Hands up those who can actually identify the brand of film from the taste of the glue. I used to like the slightly medicinal flavour of Agfa films.

Regards
    Jerry

Shooter
    35mm
    I happened to be dealing with my first 120 roll outside when it started to rain. My finger was slightly damp and it stuck to the paper leader, so I figured it out from there. I still slapped a little tape over the end in case my "intentionally sticky paper" hypothesis was proven false, but now I'm not so paranoid. If I knew I was going to be waiting more than a week or two, I'd probably invest in a black Tupperware container for fridge storage, but even then I wouldn't sweat it.

While 35mm film is much easier to deal with while shooting, I've found that 120 wins hands-down for darkroom purposes. My old plastic reels never bind on it, and because of the weight and size it tends to lay much flatter than 35mm as well.

2F/2F: 300 rolls? As in 3 with two zeroes after it? I couldn't wait that long if my life depended on it! I absolutely have to know how it turned out immediately.

Quote Originally Posted by jerry lebens View Post
    It's never occurred to me before but I knew more about handling 120 films than 35mm films, when I started studying photography seriously. My parents had a Box Brownie when I was young, so licking and sticking seemed normal. It was those pesky little 35mm things that left me feeling inadequate...

Hands up those who can actually identify the brand of film from the taste of the glue. I used to like the slightly medicinal flavour of Agfa films.

Regards
    Jerry
    I started out on 110 cartridges and Polaroid pack film, so I have absolutely no idea how I ended up playing with MF. I guess I should have graduated to Minoxes and exotic large-format backs.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jerry lebens View Post

Regards
    Jerry
    Talk about feeling dumb? Not long after I started my formal photography training, I asked my tutor why the 120 rolls had lick and stick tabs? He told me that it was to stop the paper and film from unrolling and if i paid particular attention the next time I finished a roll, I'd notice that FP4 tasted of mint, PanF tasted of strawberries and HP5 tasted of banana. This was so that you could tell the film type in the dark!

You can imagine my disappointment (not to mention embarrassment) when I found out he was joking!

Jerry - yes, having had the joke above played on me, i can often tell the flavour of the adhesive used

Mike

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Chirs Gregory View Post
    300 rolls? As in 3 with two zeroes after it? I couldn't wait that long if my life depended on it! I absolutely have to know how it turned out immediately.
    For me it's essential to process right away, or I'll forget exactly what was on the roll, and even though I make notes on each roll, that doesn't always cover adequately what the lighting conditions were like and how I subsequently change my processing technique to get the most out of the film.
    It's been a while since I had a film backlog... For that very reason.

To the original poster: Your question has been answered a zillion times, and the only thing you HAVE to do, to minimize the risk of destroying your film, is to seal it with the 'lick and stick' tape as mentioned (or in the case of Fuji film, 'peal and stick', as they have adhesive that is sticky without licking), and then preferably keeping it in a cool and dark place until you process it. The sooner after you expose the film you process it, the better your results will be.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Chirs Gregory View Post
    2F/2F: 300 rolls? As in 3 with two zeroes after it? I couldn't wait that long if my life depended on it! I absolutely have to know how it turned out immediately.
    300 rolls was an exaggeration to be funny, but I do have at least 80 in the fridge at this moment, plus about 30 rolls of 35mm and over 100 sheets of 4x5. I work a lot and go to school, so it is hard to find a whole day to devote to it...and I don't like to even start if I cannot devote a whole day. Anything with a pressing need to be developed goes to a lab.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Odd, that you did not notice the sticker. Did you do what I did the first time I tried loading a Hasselblad back and get it reversed? If so, then that would explain why you have a question as to how to keep it from unrolling. :-)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin