Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,269   Posts: 1,534,391   Online: 857

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Lens cap for my Rolleiflex Automat IV

Howdy. I bought a Rolleiflex Automat IV a couple of years ago and it came naked. Not strap, case nor cap. I like to keep my lens cleaner with a cap. I looked on EBay and found one for $45 and one for only a few bucks. Since I'm cheap, how's this one?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Plastic-Twin-Len...item53e6fd0262

Will it work on my camera?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Yes, it will : all the Automat's are with bay I .

Shooter
    Large Format
    I saw those too and it seem like they should be fine. More convenient, but less secure than the expensive hinged, bayonet on type.

If you are looking at hoods too, be aware that most (all?) of the cheap ones bayonet in like a filter. The Rollei hood and some others attach to the outside of the bayonet allowing normal use of filters.

Quote Originally Posted by Mainecoonmaniac View Post
    Howdy. I bought a Rolleiflex Automat IV a couple of years ago and it came naked. Not strap, case nor cap. I like to keep my lens cleaner with a cap. I looked on EBay and found one for $45 and one for only a few bucks. Since I'm cheap, how's this one?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Plastic-Twin-Len...item53e6fd0262

Will it work on my camera?

Last edited by Mark Crabtree; 04-19-2011 at 11:01 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Are bayonet hoods and caps more secure?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Crabtree View Post
    I saw those too and it seem like they should be fine. More convenient, but less secure than the expensive hinged, bayonet on type.

If you are looking at hoods too, be aware that most (all?) of the cheap ones bayonet in like a filter. The Rollei hood and some others attach to the outside of the bayonet allowing normal use of filters.
    I'm new to Rolleiflex cameras so this is all a mystery to my. Thanks!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Take a look on KEH too. They often have the originals that attach to the bayonets for reasonable prices. I'b buy BGN or UG in that category. As long as it securely protects the lens, who cares how it looks. Just be sure to get the Bay I size.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainecoonmaniac View Post
    I'm new to Rolleiflex cameras so this is all a mystery to my. Thanks!
    The slip on caps should be fine. I assume they make them to be a snug fit.

Bayonet hoods, or hoods with a bayonet adapter are probably your only practical option. The Rollei style hoods works great and allow normal use of filters. They turn up on eBay for about $30 in user condition, but it can take a little time to find one. Someone had a Yashica version for that here last week.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Thanks!

The slip on caps should be fine. I assume they make them to be a snug fit.

Bayonet hoods, or hoods with a bayonet adapter are probably your only practical option. The Rollei style hoods works great and allow normal use of filters. They turn up on eBay for about $30 in user condition, but it can take a little time to find one. Someone had a Yashica version for that here last week.
    I'll take a look for those bayonet hoods. I guess they don't have threaded mounts on Rolleiflex lenses. $30 is sure expensive for a hood.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I have some cheap caps and they work fine.
    But the cheap plastic hood I have bought is a bad construction and I'll never buy another.

I agree

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin