Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,693   Posts: 1,548,978   Online: 808

Shooter
    Large Format

Respool 120 to 116

This recent post http://www.apug.org/forums/viewpost.php?p=1169079 set me on a quest to measure some various spools I had laying around. Both visual comparison and measurements seem to indicate that film from a 620 spool would fit on a 116 spool and, since we know that you can re-spool 120 to 620, logic would seem to dictate that 120 could be re-spooled onto a 116 spool.

Has anyone ever tried it? Curious minds are curious.

Ed
    "I only wanted Uncle Vern standing by his new car (a Hudson) on a clear day. I got him and the car. I also got a bit of Aunt Mary's laundry, and Beau Jack, the dog, peeing on a fence, and a row of potted tuberous begonias on the porch and 78 trees and a million pebbles in the driveway and more. It's a generous medium, photography." -- Lee Friedlander

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    116 film is/was wider than 120, so if you re-spool 120 on to a 116 spool there will be open space at each edge of the film/backing paper.

I've used 120 film in a 116 camera with a modified 116 take-up spool. The modification consisted mainly of narrowing the film space by inserting rubber washers on to the spool. It works okay.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Medium Format
    B&H sells 116 film.
    Anyone can make a Digital print, but only a photographer can make a photograph.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Aw, where's the fun in that?
    "I only wanted Uncle Vern standing by his new car (a Hudson) on a clear day. I got him and the car. I also got a bit of Aunt Mary's laundry, and Beau Jack, the dog, peeing on a fence, and a row of potted tuberous begonias on the porch and 78 trees and a million pebbles in the driveway and more. It's a generous medium, photography." -- Lee Friedlander

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    120 begat 620
    116 begat 616 use 70mm for either x16

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin