Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,220   Posts: 1,532,321   Online: 979

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    bryanphoto

Current medium format camera makers?

Can anyone tell me the current medium format camera makers? The offerings for film cameras continue to dwindle -- from what I have seen -- with few offerings from Hasselblad, Mamiya, Fuji, Alpa and DHW Fototechnik. Can anyone tell me if there any others? I am particularly interested in cameras of durable natural materials. I would love to find something made with brass (like the Leica M series, but for medium format). Thank you.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Brass is an alloy of Copper and Zinc and doesn't appear naturally, a Brass medium format camera IMO would be far too heavy
    Last edited by benjiboy; 04-23-2011 at 12:53 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Ben

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Seagull, Kiev? Pentax still seems to be listing the 67II as a current product.

I think if you're after Leica style build quality, I've heard some say Rollei is as good if not better.

bryanphoto
    Thanks for the suggestions. As far as the brass, it might only be used for certain parts. For example, with the Leica M, it is used for the top and bottom plates. But I imagine its use being possible for bodies of camera systems such as the Alpa, which currently uses an aluminum alloy. However, because the body is very minimal and small, I figure something like brass would be possible, and, to me, preferable.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I guess if you wanted to make one yourself you could do it. Easiest, of course would be a pinhole.
    I'd guess that because the object of any corporation is to provide a product at reasonable cost, using brass wasn't practical.
    As you said "for certain parts" usually bearings or pivots, not much else.
    I understand the newer chrome Leicas no longer use brass covers, but the black ones do.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

bryanphoto
    It would be interesting to make the camera. I might have to learn a bit more about metalworking, or try something in wood, but it would great to be able to build a body that perhaps utilizes other currently available parts for the lenses and film back or holder. Hmm.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Natural materials and lightweight homemade MF camera

Try to google and find free Pinhole Paper Hasselblad .
    There is a website and blog and detailed print and cut pdf file devoted to that and a 18 minutes video , how things work.
    You can cut from thicker paper and get a more durable one.
    I saved your 1000 dollars

Umut

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I think the best option is to buy high quality used MF gear while you can, and have it serviced by a qualified service repair person while they are still in business.

bryanphoto
    It certainly seems to offer more options nowadays to look on the used market. But I am curious what companies are still producing new.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but in Europe you might still be able to find new Rolleis. Franke & Heidecke closed up shop last year, and good luck finding a new one in the States, but you never know.... maybe there might be an extra Hy6 hanging around B&H in New York.

Oh, and while Pentax Japan still lists the 645 and 67II, Pentax USA doesn't, so at least in many markets, those are discontinued
    David

A Holga is an ugly woman, a Brownie is a delicious treat.

dromanophoto.blogspot.com/

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin