Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,329   Posts: 1,537,180   Online: 818

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

Do I need to get my 500C/M serviced??

Hey folks... I just picked up what is probably my third Hasselblad kit in probably 20 years (I keep selling them, thinking I won't use it and buying them again after years)... so I'm quite familiar with operation and I can unjam lenses and bodies etc... but there are some peculiarities to the setup I just bought on the 'bay...

1. when firing the shutter - the focal plane shutter in the magazine closes as soon as the trigger is let go of (I can't remember if this is normal - I suspect not) - so the FP shutter in the mag closes well before one second of the leaf shutter in the lens closes.

2. the aperture stays at f/22 when in that position and does not return to wide open position - it's as though the DOF preview button is stuck in preview mode.. it can be fixed (temporarily) by returning the aperture setting to 2.8 and then dial back to 22... but clearly this is not normal...

3. (related) the DOF tab does not seem to have any clear or positive action...

This is on a black C lens...

Do you think this is something a 'normal' service would cover? Or does it sound like there may be more extensive damage...? Is there anything I can do to remedy these issues?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If by "the FP shutter in the mag" you mean the barndoors/secondary shutter in the body then yes, they will only stay open as long as the shutter button/release is held in. (unless you flip the O/T collar on the shutter release to T)

The dof levers on the "C" lenses can be mushy.
    Push it and it stays stopped down until you manually open the aperture all the way via the aperture ring or fire the shutter. It should return to full aperture after you fire the shutter.

Sounds like you may need a CLA if yours is remaining stopped down after shutter release.

I know a guy who will service "C" lenses.
    Contact me via PM if needed.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    ooops - sorry - i meant the FP (focal plane) shutter in the body... I may end up sending it out but I'd love to find a great site on how to DIY...I managed to repair a 150mm CF lens and a Nikkor on a few occasions... it's not THAT hard to do... but it's a question of hours...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I wish I had the dexterity.
    I have a 50mm Nikkor here with fungus that I'd like to clean but I dont know how to get to the elements in question.

This lens unfortunately wouldn't be cost effective to sent to a tech so it may go to dust.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Here's a great place to get lots of info... a lot of it has to do with certain 'tricks' and order of operations - a good set of magnetic screwdrivers helps a TON. Remember - camera repair people are mortals too...!

http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/NikonRepair/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Here's a great page on servicing my FAVOURITE Nikkor... the 55mm micro... maybe not exactly relevant to your situation... but it gives you a pretty good idea about the procedure for dismantling and replacing/adjusting parts...

http://conradhoffman.com/MicroNikkor55.html

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sparky,
    Wow, I just this week had to return an Ais 55 2.8 Micro-Nikkor due to frozen up aperture (wouldn't stop down at all) and there was grease almost dripping off the helicoids.
    ePrey seller must not have even tested the lens at all. The description was completely bogus because I knew about this issue.

The 50 f/2 with fungus is pre Ai "H".
    Do you (anyone) have any links to what's involved at getting to the front inner element group.
    Hopefully the fungus hasn't etched the glass yet. There is one fair sized growth in there.
    It might clean up.

Im paranoid due to the contagious nature of fungus but the environment around here shouldn't be too accommodating to further growth.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I think with the older lenses you just unscrew the retaining screws off the outer focusing 'shell' (if it's the scalloped design i'm thinking of) - i suspect you unscrew the retaining ring on the front after you get that off... but they shouldn't be so different from the micro nikkor. There are only so many way to put things together... you'll get way better advice on the nikon repair group i posted than from me though...! post a question there!

I have a micro nikkor with the same problem now too! I got it off stupid ebay as well... my favourite was the 35mm PC I bought to mount on a canon body (w adapter) that was totally frozen up!! couldn't change the focus NOR the aperture ring...!!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yep. sux.
    I've had bad luck on ePrey the last few weeks but in both cases the sellers said all was cool because believe me, I know what to ask with this older stuff.

I had to push a PP claim on the Micro, first time I ever had to do that.

I went and joined the nikon repair.
    Problem with those Yahoo groups is they aren't the easiest to find stuff/navigate.

Thanks for the heads up. I had seen that group before through google but never investigated.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    best thing is just to assume what you're buying is going to be a fixer-upper and only bid on stuff that has terrible photos or description or some other off-putting thing (a cosmetic condition that you can live with - often something that won't bother an experienced photographer) (I also like to buy stuff from people with zero feedback- it's a risk - but i've not been burned yet)... but that way - if it arrives and everything works great (happens) then it's a bonus... if not - then you expect it...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin