Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,759   Posts: 1,484,017   Online: 1225

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Help With Rollieflex Focus Screen

Hello, I have a question that I hope members of this forum can help me with. My brother gave me an old Rolleiflex 3.5 MX-EVS and while attempting to clean the focus screen I inadvertantly appearantly wedged the ground glass down too low and the focus mechanism struck against and broke the gridded glass focus screen. So I have been doing internet searches for screens but am a bit confused on what should be there.

My camera has a plastic spot type focus screen on top and a glass grid focus screen under it. This is a pic of the grid glass screen

And this of the plastic spot focus screen that was on top of the glass grid

The plastic spot screen is scratched up and has some cracks so I want to replace both if necessary. But in searching I see only one screen listed and no mention of having both stacked. IOW you can get the gridded glass, spot focus and others in ground glass or cheaper plastic versions.

Are there supposed to be two screens in there like it was, or did some one stack a spot screen on top of an original grid? Im kinda confused on this since I was given this camera and have no idea how i was originally equipped.

Thanks in advance for any assistance on this issue.

John
    Last edited by fordtech; 04-24-2011 at 02:40 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: spelling

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yes, the glass is the "ground glass" and the plastic is the optional fresnel. Actually, I think the plastic fresnel is the hard to find piece. If you think your is too scratched I'll take it .

The ground glass can be replaced or made from plain glass yourself. Hopfglass can hook you up with a new piece of ground glass for under $20, I think they can duplicate the grid lines also . ( http://www.hopfglass.com/order ).

Later models have a single plastic focus screen that had a built in fresnel. If you want to go that route here is a Beattie aftermarket all-in-one screen that may work: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...ng_Screen.html but that Beattie is over $200.
    Last edited by ic-racer; 04-24-2011 at 09:56 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    That's the first time I'd heard of having a screen "sandwich". I have three Rolleiflex ("standard" 2.8 Planar, Wide and Tele). I replaced the screens in mine with ones made by Bill Maxwell. They are reputedly the best but some people are very happy with Beattie screens. Bill can provide plain screens, screens with or without grid lines and screens with a central focus 'spot'. They are made as one piece and I've found them very good, but they are not inexpensive. The one I bought a month back was $193. Worth it in my view.

Quoting Bill:
    " I make two HI-LUX screens for both the interchangeable hood Rollei TLRs (such as your Rolleiflex 2.8E2) as well as the earlier non-interchangeable hood Rollei TLRs. The screens for the interchangeable hood Rollei TLRs are user interchangeable and do not require any tools or adjustment (presuming that the camera is currently focusing ok with the original factory screen). The screens for the non-interchangeable hood Rollei TLRs can be supplied either for installation by you or a technician. The self-install kit with materials and instructions is intended for people of average mechanical ability.
    These screens are:
    >
    > (1) HI-LUX Brilliant Matte - very bright, contrasty, high clarity, all matte screen
    >
    > (2) HI-LUX Micro/Split RF (Type II) - 4 mm diameter horizontal split image rangefinder in the center, surrounded by a 7 mm diameter microprism collar, surrounded by a bright matte field
    >
    > All the above screens are available (a) without lines, (b) with vertical and horizontal crop lines for rectangular pictures, or (c) with grid lines. All of my products are made to order. Please allow us time to produce your screens. "
    Unquote:

Bill doesn't maintain a website but you can reach him at Maxwell Precision Optics <maxwellprecisionoptics@yahoo.com> and if you're in the USA his phone is 1+770-939-6644 and you'll find him very helpful.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I've never heard of a two-piece screen in a Rolleiflex or Rolleicord and wonder if a previous owner added the fresnel screen. In any case, I would just replace both with a single aftermarket screen: Maxwell or Beattie.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I bought three screens from Chinese suppliers on Ebay for about $20.00 each, with free shipping (search "rolleiflex screen"). There is one there now for $28.00. The Beattie or Maxwell screens are likely a lot better but I've never seen one to compare. I installed one screen in my old Rolleiflex and it is quite adequate, not perfect, but for what I paid I can live with it..
    Last edited by Paul Goutiere; 04-24-2011 at 07:00 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks very much for your comments and suggestions. I was looking for someone to say it was normal to have both or just one and now I can make a better decision on one to get. I found a ground glass grid one and also some of the chinese ones with the spot and claim to be bright on Ebay. I also have checked out the Maxwells and others.
    IC Racer if I decide not to use the fresnel Ill let you know

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sounds like you found what you need. My thought was, the fresnel was probably an aftermarket item. Spiratone, among others, used to sell them.
    Bruce

Moma don't take my Kodachrome away!
    Oops, Kodak just did!

BruceCSdunekPhotography.zenfolio.com

Shooter
    35mm
    ic-racer, I see your edit with the picture of the Rolliegrid Lens, that is the exact piece! Thanks!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I installed a Maxwell screen in my mx-evs almost 2 years ago and I can't recommend them highly enough. It brightened up the viewfinder so much it was like using a new camera! It definitely improved the useability of my Rolleiflex. The cost is a bit scary (around $180 I believe), but after a couple of years of use I consider it to have been a good investment to upgrade this fine camera.
    Jim

Shooter
    Multi Format

You have a very generous brother that gave you a Rolleiflex. They are a great camera.

Depending on where you live, you might want to have your Rollei cleaned and adjusted after you replace the ground glass.

I have two working Rolleiflex 6X6 TLR cameras. One has the fresnel lens and one is without. If you are going to be shooting indoors or under low light situations, I would invest in a new fresnel lens or just keep the one you all ready have.
    Outdoors under bright conditions, you may not notice the difference.

Good luck.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin