Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,816   Posts: 1,581,629   Online: 756

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Hasselblad Light Leak ?

Will you folks take a look at these scans of a contact sheet and a proof print off the same roll and tell me what you think these light areas are?

This is from a Hasselblad A12 back. You'll see very obvious light areas on frames 8 and 9 of the contact sheet. The print is from frame 6 and you'll see a much fainter light pattern with a definite straight-edge cutoff on the opposite side of the frame as the others!

Weird. I can't figure it. Seems like a light leak would be consistent on all frames. Seems like a development problem would also be more consistent, frame to frame, and would not have the straight edge these light areas have.

Thanks for any help.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20110402_contact_sm.JPG   20110402_06_sm.JPG  
    Jeff Glass

Photo Blog
    Website

Shooter
    Medium Format
    looking at your contact sheet it appears to be the space between your dark slide fits in on your back... if you unscrew all the screws on the front side of your back you can inspect the light trap that covered with felt... sometimes the felt may be worn out...

check here for fixing instructions

http://www.hasselbladhistorical.eu/HT/HTSeal.aspx

also if you keep your dark slide half in the slot than it can rupture the light seal too...always take the darkslide out...

the ghetto fix is to put a piece of tape over the darkslide slot when the darkslide is outside the camera

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Load your camera with sensitive film (Tri-x), put it in the full sun with the dark slide slot oriented towards the sun, shoot a frame after some time of exposure to the sun, do this 6x, then do the same with a piece of opaque tape over the slot.

Your problem looks like a light leak from the slot but it's nice to be sure before doing a replacement of the seals.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Awesome, guys, thanks for the fix! I may call KEH and see if they'll exchange the thing, but looks fairly easy to fix.

Seems weird to me that every frame would not have the same leak pattern though
    Jeff Glass

Photo Blog
    Website

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The backs can also leak from the gear opening, very common. Take a look at David Odess' site and/or his posts here for info. I had a back (and body) overhauled by him and it's perfect. Well worth the money...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Replace the light seals.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin