Agfa Record I -loosening stuck lens?
Recently came across an Agfa Record I and ran a test roll through it - Works great, no light leaks... except the focus is stuck at around 8 feet. I was able to separate the lens from the shutter but the front two elements are completely stuck together.
I did a search for cleaning tips and managed to get some of the old grease off with a little lighter fluid and cotton swabs, but still no luck. Didn't want to put them between any clamps or vices and risk having the metal get bent.
Any ideas on how to get them separated would be appreciated.
I had exactly the same problem with a Record III.
Try dropping the two stuck cells in a cup of really hot water for a while, it might take few goes.
Don't use a vice or the like, the lens element metal is soft like brass or similar.
Heat. I used a gas oven set to 200,turned off after 5 minutes. Let it sit for fifteen minutes.
Then use a hose clamp. wrap the lens barrel in rubber, like used for plumbing gaskets to protect it and give the hose clamp a grip. Don't tighten the clamp too hard, enough to get a hold but nothing more. If you need to separate the two front elements, use a second clamp. If you position the two tightening sections properly, you can then squeeze them with pliers to pop them apart.
EDIT: I now note that you DO need to separate the two front elements. Two hose clamps. Off set the bumps and try to pull them together (first element bump offset clockwise looking from the front). Don't forget the rubber!!
Be sure to mark the thread position when you take them apart. The helix threads can go on at different positions and this can change the focus point. Also you might try small strap wrenches or similar jar openers to get them apart. In case you haven't seen it some info at: http://www.rolandandcaroline.co.uk/r...frozenfix.html
Occasionally, I have trouble separating the anamorphic attachment from the front of the prime lens for movie projectors.
Either some idiot (me) cross-threads them or screws them on too tight. Sometimes repeated heating and cooling cycles make the parts stick together. (Yes, movie projectors get hot! Hot enough for the focus to drift out of whack as the movie plays.)
I have two different ways to un-stick stuck parts like that.
1) I wrap a leather strap around the offending parts.
2) I use differential heating and cooling.
If you wrap a leather strap around an object it will progressively tighten as you try to turn them. Carefully done, the pressure will be kept even around the part so as not to throw it out of round. Alternatively, you can get a strap wrench from Lowes, Home Depot, etc.
Heating and cooling can often help. As parts expand and contract you might be able to get them to loosen easier. Don't use a torch! Use a heat lamp or a blow dryer. Just be careful! If your lens elements are cemented together with balsam, too much heat will F-them up, right quick!
Regardless of the method, remember: "Slow and steady wins the race!"
Work steadily and methodically. Don't get in a rush and try to keep your head. If you get in a hurry or get peeved off you're more likely to make a mistake and risk destroying something.
Don't ask me how I know that...
Sponsored Ad. (Subscribers to APUG have the option to remove this ad.)
Tried letting them sit in hot water for awhile and was able to twist them apart. Thanks for all the input! Just need to re-grease the threads and I should be on my way to shooting with it.
Glad to hear it worked. I see other people beat me to the punch.
Oh, and Welcome to Apug! I hope you stick around.