Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,702   Posts: 1,482,661   Online: 666

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    OK, thanks. I had seen the Grip S, but I wasn't sure whether there was a more modern version.

Cheers

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hoffy, if you are only going to use the WLF I don't think the speed grip is advisable. The speed grip allows you to hold the camera like an SLR, up in your face. The proximity of the shutter winding lever and the shutter release make it possible to continue shooting without taking the camera away from your face. So in practice the speed grip is only intended for users who have one of the prism viewfinders. If you are using the WLF the speed grip is actually quite difficult to use. It is easier to skip the speed grip all together and hold it like a Hassy and wind it with the crank handle.
    Pentax 67ii, Fuji GF670, Mamiya 6, Pentax 645N
    Chemical Cameras
    My Galleries

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by revdocjim View Post
    Hoffy, if you are only going to use the WLF I don't think the speed grip is advisable. The speed grip allows you to hold the camera like an SLR, up in your face. The proximity of the shutter winding lever and the shutter release make it possible to continue shooting without taking the camera away from your face. So in practice the speed grip is only intended for users who have one of the prism viewfinders. If you are using the WLF the speed grip is actually quite difficult to use. It is easier to skip the speed grip all together and hold it like a Hassy and wind it with the crank handle.
    That's not been my experience with the speed grip. It really eases hand holding what's otherwise a medium-sized brick--whatever the finder. Way more stable, too.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Thanks for the advice RDJ. I do plan on getting an AE prism, but it's not a priority. The main reason i wanted the grip was to hold a flash....BUT, the more I think about it, the more impracticle this might be!!!!! Maybe the grip will have to wait until I do get a prism

OK, next question. Does anyone know what the safe trigger voltage is for the Sync Port?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The flashes which will work with TTL (Metz, Sunpak, etc.) will have a module for the SQ-Ai, and will be safe.
    I don't know what the voltage limitations are, if any, for the standard X-sync PC terminal or hot shoe. Good question.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hmmm... When I hold the camera by the grip and lower it to waist level it naturally points directly at the ground. Trying to then contort my wrist so that the camera is actually pointing at what is in front of me is awkward at best. And if I do manage that I then find that the shutter release is very difficult to reach with my index finger. I guess it is just a matter of preference, but in my case speed grip at the waist is just painful. I would much rather go with the traditional "I'm holding a box" feel for waist level. But once the camera is up at eye level I appreciate the grip a great deal!
    Pentax 67ii, Fuji GF670, Mamiya 6, Pentax 645N
    Chemical Cameras
    My Galleries

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I found the SQ's Speed Grip comfortable enough for waist-level work, but for winding I had to tilt it downward. I somewhat prefer the crank myself, for waist level work.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lxdude View Post
    The flashes which will work with TTL (Metz, Sunpak, etc.) will have a module for the SQ-Ai, and will be safe.
    I don't know what the voltage limitations are, if any, for the standard X-sync PC terminal or hot shoe. Good question.
    OK, thanks. I should be OK with my studio monoblocks (rated at 6v for the trigger). I am thinking, though, that my acient Vivitar flash is best not going anywhere near this camera (trigger voltage > 200v!)

KEK

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The only advice i would give you is to take your batteries out when you're not using the camera. I have a metered prism and if it's left on the batteries are done. I can't help you with a portrait lense but i love my 40mm it's extremely sharp. I also have a 50, 80, and 250. I also bought a second body(there cheap) which i leave the WLF on and leave the prism/speed grip on the other.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin