Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,940   Posts: 1,585,692   Online: 1027

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    While I know nothing of the Mamiya 7 and 43mm lens combination in particular, I know that Mamiya's rangefinder lenses are really very good.

But please please please refrain from using the word 'best'. It is such a subjective term and gets misunderstood easily.

And, I second the opinion above about Ken Rockwell. I find most of his reviews pretty uneducated and even offensive at times, and the only sensible reason must be that he's playing a practical joke on us.
    Please form your own opinion before you go spend money on something that Rockwell writes up.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    While I know nothing of the Mamiya 7 and 43mm lens combination in particular, I know that Mamiya's rangefinder lenses are really very good.

But please please please refrain from using the word 'best'. It is such a subjective term and gets misunderstood easily.

And, I second the opinion above about Ken Rockwell. I find most of his reviews pretty uneducated and even offensive at times, and the only sensible reason must be that he's playing a practical joke on us.
    Please form your own opinion before you go spend money on something that Rockwell writes up.
    Yes, for me it's the "best" because it does all the things that I desire for my photography: Lightweight, sharp/contrasty lenses, and multiple focal lengths in my favorite format--6x7. The lenses are quite spectacular and the body, although cheap feeling in some ways, is quite easy to use and feels very proper in one's hands. So for me, it's the best I've come across, and clearly for others, it's not. Especially for those who like SLRs as well as those who need closer focusing that 3-5ft.

I actually do believe his reviews are written in an honest assessment, but with a serious slant of satire towards people who are uber analytical about their equipment.
    K.S. Klain

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Literally the only two marks against the Mamiya 7 family are it's expensive lenses and it's inferior-to-Leica build quality. The only issue I hold against them from those is their expensive lenses, as the camera has survived a lot of wear from me.

Mamiya 7. Boom. Done.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    I own a 7 which was given to me. Frankly, I would class it as one of the worst of the several MF cameras I have owned in the past and own today.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Films NOT Dead - Just getting fixed![/FONT]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    There are no magic bullets in this world.

http://www.largeformatphotography.in...ic-bullet.html
    Mark Barendt, Beaverton, OR

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    One of my favorite photographic essays. Thanks for posting that, it's been a while.
    K.S. Klain

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I used to have a Mamiya 7, results cannot be faulted, but I did not rate the build of it. It's just pure plastic, and whilst that can be good, I just didn't like it. I traded for a Hasselblad, and I miss the Mamiya's portability, but the SLR of the 'blad is my preference for tripod shots vs. walking around shots. It's a really good camera if you don't mind that it does not look or feel anything like a Leica, Rollei or Hasselblad. My brother had a GF670, and that is a different beast entirely, if you don't mind the fixed lens, it is even more portable than the Mamiya and looks about as good as any camera I've ever seen. The bellows combined with modern features make it look like no other camera, and I just love it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The lenses are only expensive if you buy them new from Mamiya America Corp. Used, they are cheaper than comprable Canon EF lenses for example. And hellishly cheaper than anything comprable by Leica. Ugh! The price of leica glass is insane.

Plastic - only on the surface. The underside is a single casting, machined to pretty exact tolerances. And as far as inferior to leica build quality... I suppose if build quality means it needs to go to the shop regularly for maintenance, then sure, Leica earns that title.

The 43 is such a spectacular lens. I wish they had released the 43mm aspherical they (Mamiya) designed for the RZ67. Not that it would be better than the M7 lens (not likely possible) but still would have been nice to have that wide a lens on an SLR.
    -Ed

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Klainmeister View Post
    Yes, for me it's the "best" because it does all the things that I desire for my photography: Lightweight, sharp/contrasty lenses, and multiple focal lengths in my favorite format--6x7. The lenses are quite spectacular and the body, although cheap feeling in some ways, is quite easy to use and feels very proper in one's hands. So for me, it's the best I've come across, and clearly for others, it's not. Especially for those who like SLRs as well as those who need closer focusing that 3-5ft.

I actually do believe his reviews are written in an honest assessment, but with a serious slant of satire towards people who are uber analytical about their equipment.
    I'm glad you agree that 'best' is personal.

My 'best' camera is the one I know inside out, loaded with the film I know inside out, and carrying the light meter I know inside out. Helps me to not think about the camera when I take pictures.

And for the record, I still think Ken Rockwell isn't qualified to write reviews. Sorry.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post

The word best was lifted directly from Rockwell's reviews of both the 43mm and the Mamiya 7 system in general. I ask here for other's first hand experience before I go and get my own, which I will do as soon as I have the opportunity.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin