Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,501   Posts: 1,543,347   Online: 864

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by kurt765 View Post
    I rented a 7II with the 43mm for the weekend. It's pretty sharp. Bests my 645's by a significant margin. I may have to trade up.

Request: If anyone has this combo, would you mind weighing it and giving me the exact weight of the camera and lens?
    I was going to do this but forgot until after I returned the rental, sigh.
    -K
    1504 grams with neck strap, lens shade and cap and RRS adapter.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I thought about buying this camera for over two years, and finally took the plunge when an Mamiya 7 came up secondhand for £400. I don't think the actual camera body is worth paying the price the 7II cost new (!!!!!) but having used Mamiya optics with my old C330f and my recent 645 Pro TL I've always been impressed by their optics. I normally carry around my large format camera outfit, but there are situations where it isn't practical (think volcanos ) where a relativly lightweight camera and a decent MF format are desirable. I shall buy a secondhand 50mm lens later (when my finances recover from my summer exped to Iceland) as they are cheaper, though for a mint/vg condition one they are usually sold for just under £1000 in the UK.
    The Thing

Portfolio

Film Cameras currently used:
    Large/Stort-format: Ebony 45SU (field camera), Medium/Medlem-format: Mamiya 7, Hasselblad 503CW
    35mm/Små format: Nikon: F4, D800 (yes digital, I know)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks jbbooks!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by kurt765 View Post
    Thanks jbbooks!
    You're welcome.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My good friend has one. Great lenses. But pretty darned wide for me at 43mm. And spot metering only? That is really stupid design. If I am using an in-camera meter, I don't want to go moving my camera here and there to get spot meter readings once I have a composition set up. Especially not for the things I would shoot with a rangefinder.

Personally, I want one of the Mamiya rangefinders, but I think that over all, the 6 is the better camera. Better meter if needed, and no monkeying with external finders. Plus I love square format.

I say go for the 7 if you want the 43mm lens. For any other purpose, go for the 6. YMMV.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

SFC

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Many of KR's reviews are dubious, and generally his favorite thing in the world is whatever the latest gizmo out is. However, he's probably correct about the Mamiya 6/7 cameras and lenses. I have a 6 and all 3 lenses are sharper than anything I've used, even sharper than my 80 Planar CF (although that lens has slightly better micro-contrast). The 50 is fantastic. I would judge the build quality of the lenses as good as Leica and even better than Hasselblad, which do have some plastic parts on them. The cameras do have a little too much plastic (I'd really like a metal shutter speed control), but if they were all metal you might not want to carry one around and they'd be 2x expensive.

If you get a Mamiya 7, you need a Nikon 8000/9000 or you will not be getting all the quality out of the lenses, and color balance will not be so great.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    KR says some stupid $hit from time to time (like how terrible the Mamiya Press and C systems are), but for the most part, I find his reviews and advice to be the best on the 'net. He has excellent, practical, common sense, user-friendly advice (lacking almost everywhere else in equipment reviews throughout the 'net). Also, for as technically focused as his subject matter is, he does not come across as obsessed with technical aspects of photography. He "keeps it real," I might say. He is also humorous- and grumpy-enough to keep me interested. Plus, he loves film, and wrote the greatest film vs. digital article I have ever read, by far. I wouldn't call his writing anywhere close to "dubious" on most matters...at least not those that he thoroughly researches (which I do not think he did in the aforementioned Mamiya cases).
    Last edited by 2F/2F; 07-01-2011 at 06:45 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by 2F/2F View Post
    My good friend has one. Great lenses. But pretty darned wide for me at 43mm. And spot metering only? That is really stupid design. If I am using an in-camera meter, I don't want to go moving my camera here and there to get spot meter readings once I have a composition set up. Especially not for the things I would shoot with a rangefinder.

Personally, I want one of the Mamiya rangefinders, but I think that over all, the 6 is the better camera. Better meter if needed, and no monkeying with external finders. Plus I love square format.

I say go for the 7 if you want the 43mm lens. For any other purpose, go for the 6. YMMV.
    We are allowed to differ, I hope.
    The main reason I got one was for 6x7 color slides, which I much prefer to the 6x6 ones or, even worse, the 6x4.5 or the “Super” slides. Later, it became an obvious replacement for the 4x5 cameras where it is not possible to possess or use a tripod. You may not like its spot metering, but I prefer it. I use a small pocket meter for larger angle reflective readings and for incident light readings. As to some complaints about the plastic used, I have no complaints about the reliability and I appreciate the cameras light weight. A bag with two bodies, a full set of filters and stuff and three or four lenses is easy to manage and does everything I expect. It is a kit that makes large color slides that are incredibly sharp and clear with great color and contrast when projected as well as black and white negatives that are an acceptable substitute for what I would get using a 4x5; movements excepted, of course.
    Last edited by jbbooks; 07-01-2011 at 06:39 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    [QUOTE=Thomas Bertilsson;1174820]But please please please refrain from using the word 'best'.
    QUOTE]

It is the best by definition. There are no other 43mm lenses for 6x7 that would be better.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I agree with jbbooks, but as a LF user that may be simply because I love spot metering. If you are using the camera on a tripod and using Lee's graduated filters, a spot meter means that you can, where needed, use an ND grad, sometimes at funny angles, to balance the lighting on an image. I will probably use my Sekonic spot meter with the camera anyway.
    The Thing

Portfolio

Film Cameras currently used:
    Large/Stort-format: Ebony 45SU (field camera), Medium/Medlem-format: Mamiya 7, Hasselblad 503CW
    35mm/Små format: Nikon: F4, D800 (yes digital, I know)

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin