Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,768   Posts: 1,484,182   Online: 808

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    One of my Mamiya 7 II + 43mm shots from my rental week. This exposure was meant to be longer but the mechanical cable release failed at some point in the night. Still, turned out to be a pretty nice image considering.

Twin meteors over Horseshoe Meadow by Kurt Lawson, on Flickr

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Here's another.

High Sierra Trails by Kurt Lawson, on Flickr

-K

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I love the second pic, Kurt. Thanks for sharing it.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Excellent! How did you go about getting such a good exposure on a chrome with such a long exposure? I mean, I realise RDP has excellent reciprocity but those exposures look like an hour or two and the light changes a fair bit at night over that duration. How did you decide when to close the shutter?

(me, I've only done it on negs and aimed for some overexposure)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    One of the reasons for disagreement about the Mamiya 7 meter is that it is a spot meter and the position of the actual spot is often not quite where it's supposed to be. A few minutes experimenting in a large room with a single bright light bulb will reveal the actual spot, and if you remember it the metering will be somewhat better.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by polyglot View Post
    Excellent! How did you go about getting such a good exposure on a chrome with such a long exposure? I mean, I realise RDP has excellent reciprocity but those exposures look like an hour or two and the light changes a fair bit at night over that duration. How did you decide when to close the shutter?

(me, I've only done it on negs and aimed for some overexposure)
    That has been the subject of much experimentation by me over the last 7 months. I've worked out a formula based on lots of tests with the moon as fill light. I'm not quite ready to share my results since it's taken hundreds of hours and thousands of dollars to come up with this formula, but RDP is definitely the favorite film for this task. That second shot there was indeed a multi-hour exposure.

-K

ROL
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by kurt765 View Post
    That has been the subject of much experimentation by me over the last 7 months. I've worked out a formula based on lots of tests with the moon as fill light. I'm not quite ready to share my results since it's taken hundreds of hours and thousands of dollars to come up with this formula...
    -K
    How gracious! He asks for help, receives it, and then refuses to reciprocate.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ROL View Post
    How gracious! He asks for help, receives it, and then refuses to reciprocate.
    As of right now, you bet I'm not going to share my hard fought exposure formula. Sorry to disappoint, but until I get the shot I'm after I'm not going to just give it all away. I've asked for info on hardware I did not have, and for some opinions on film before coming to entirely my own opinions and conclusions based on *my* testing many different films over many a dark night, spending thousands of dollars on gas, equipment rental, film and processing, time and good hard effort. Please enlighten me, ROL, as to what post exactly that you made that would entitle you to a share of my work?

Edit: I also said "not quite ready to share" in my post, if you had read it.

-K
    Last edited by kurt765; 07-08-2011 at 02:07 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    So, after my experience renting the 7II and the 43mm, I think I'm going to start selling my Mamiya 645 gear to replace it with such a system. The bigger resolution from 6x7 is just too enticing, and the glass in the 43 was excellent.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    ^^ Haha, secret "magical" exposure formula. Oh please!

EDIT: Great shots BTW, but still...

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin