Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,536   Posts: 1,544,220   Online: 746

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    The one thing to watch out for with Koni-Omegas is that they tend to be very used, and may need some CLA, especially the backs. But the lenses are excellent and can generally be had for much less than equivalent lenses from other makers.

Shooter
    35mm
    Unless you're going to use one studio only, a medium format camera is only useful if it's small enough to carry everywhere with you. I've had superb 120 cameras but I had to think seriously about carrying the weight, which inevitably lead to them being left at home and shots missed. Pound for pound, a 40s/50s folding camera delivers most resolution in a transportable package.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by blockend View Post
    Unless you're going to use one studio only, a medium format camera is only useful if it's small enough to carry everywhere with you. I've had superb 120 cameras but I had to think seriously about carrying the weight, which inevitably lead to them being left at home and shots missed. Pound for pound, a 40s/50s folding camera delivers most resolution in a transportable package.
    I like to have your recommendations in regard to foldings. Yes, I have no plans to setup a studio or do any professional work.

A good sharp lens with folding(pref. 6x7) should be enough for me.
    OM-1n: Do I need to own a Leica?
    Rolleicord Va: Humble.
    Holga 120GFN: Amazingly simple yet it produces outstanding negatives to print.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'll carry my RB67 anywhere if my purpose is taking pictures. If my purpose is not taking pictures then my 6x9 folder fits in a pocket, that is true.
    Harry Pulley - Visit the BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE FORUM

Happiness is...

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by baachitraka View Post
    I like to have your recommendations in regard to foldings. Yes, I have no plans to setup a studio or do any professional work.

A good sharp lens with folding(pref. 6x7) should be enough for me.
    A Zeiss Ikon Nettar is cheaper than a Holga on ebay and is no bigger than a 35mm SLR. The build quality is high and lens resolution stopped down to F8 or F11 would only be surpassed by a 120 camera costing x10 or x20 more.

There are other folders with similar characteristics.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It could be that your reasoning for the 6X7 format is that it is a little closer to what your used to with 35mm, but I would seriously consider a Bronica SQA as something to get started with. You might find the square format to your liking, or you could crop a bit to get the aspect ratio your looking for. You can get a view finder that resembles the look and feel of a SLR, which in effect it would be, and it is very easy to hand hold. You can also get a back that frames 645, as well as many other accesories. The thing about the Bronica as well as the RB or RZ cameras that makes them a great choice is that they are system cameras. You can add on to your kit as time goes by, they have great lenses at great prices, and will be bargained priced. If you decide to move up in equipment, they have good resale value. There is a great expression that goes "I can't afford to buy cheap shoes" that applies here.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I would look into Maimya RB67 or maybe a TLR. Good prices on KEH.

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by RPippin View Post
    It could be that your reasoning for the 6X7 format is that it is a little closer to what your used to with 35mm, but I would seriously consider a Bronica SQA as something to get started with. You might find the square format to your liking, or you could crop a bit to get the aspect ratio your looking for. You can get a view finder that resembles the look and feel of a SLR, which in effect it would be, and it is very easy to hand hold. You can also get a back that frames 645, as well as many other accesories. The thing about the Bronica as well as the RB or RZ cameras that makes them a great choice is that they are system cameras. You can add on to your kit as time goes by, they have great lenses at great prices, and will be bargained priced. If you decide to move up in equipment, they have good resale value. There is a great expression that goes "I can't afford to buy cheap shoes" that applies here.
    I agree, having anything like a system is good for the long term. I will think about RB67 with a good lens for portraits.
    OM-1n: Do I need to own a Leica?
    Rolleicord Va: Humble.
    Holga 120GFN: Amazingly simple yet it produces outstanding negatives to print.

Shooter
    35mm
    You have to be sure what you want a 120 camera for. An RB or RZ67 is a seriously heavy piece of kit, ditto Pentax 67, Mamiya Press or most other medium format SLRs. I have a 5 x 4" MPP that weighs little more than some roll film cameras. You'll only take such cameras if you are sure you are going to use one.

A folder will fit into a pocket and you wouldn't buy a Mamiya filter for the price of a Zeiss Ikon. If you like the roll film format you can purchase a more versatile camera later, if not it's cost you nothing, you can sell the folder on. The only camera that offers the versatility of a folder with superior lenses in a compact form is the Mamiya 7 rangefinder. A new one with 80mm lens costs £2500-3000. They sell because they deliver 120 quality in a portable format, which has always been the elusive goal of medium format cameras.

Another solution is a Rolleiflex/ Yashica/ Minolta twin lens reflex, depending on your budget. As your original question was what is the cheapest medium format camera, I take it budget is a consideration. If you're asking what is the best you'll get a whole different set of answers.
    Last edited by blockend; 05-01-2011 at 09:24 AM. Click to view previous post history.

North America just north of that sharp right turn North America makes on the Atlantic coast.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have to join the Zeiss folding camera camp. I have a Kodak Brownie Autographic #2 that I really like, and I Zeiss 520/2 with the Telma f/6.3 lens (read "the cheep lens"). The Zeiss is sharper every time hands down. Also, the Zeiss was handed to me by an 82 year old woman that couldn't recall the last time it had been used, I had to cycle the shutter a bunch of times until it sounded right, but here are the results. I used a pocket meter, and guessed at the distance for focus.

These are negative scans at 1200 DPI, further reduced in quality by uploading to Picasa, but they will give you an idea of quality.

Full size image

Detail

It isn't award willing tack sharp quality, but it works for me.
    "Would you like it if someone that painted in oils told you that you were not making portraits because you were using a camera?"
    "Shouldn't it be more about the joy of producing and viewing the photo than what you paid for the camera?"

Me

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin