Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,565   Posts: 1,545,337   Online: 966

Page 1 of 8 1234567 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

Cheapest medium format camera

I shoot with 35mm and have no interest to go for another format very soon. In the mean-time, I am wondering how the photos will look from medium-format esp., 6x7.

Can anybody suggest a dead cheap medium-format camera just for testing, please.
    OM-1n: Do I need to own a Leica?
    Rolleicord Va: Humble.
    Holga 120GFN: Amazingly simple yet it produces outstanding negatives to print.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Drop dead cheap will likely be a second hand Holga or likes. But if you are looking to evaluate quality difference in results, you'll have to test it with quality MF camera against quality 35mm. For 645 format, Mamiya M645 series are pretty inexpensive. Bronica would be a good choice for 6x6 and Mamiya RB or RZ would be a good candidate for 6x7. You could also try TLRs and choices are numerous.

We often get bargain RBs in APUG classified section. You might want to keep your eyes on them.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    You can pick good folders for 6x6 to 6x9 fairly cheaply,
    Richard

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Go with a folder. The Iskra that I have has got a darn good lens and I got the camera for 65$. Looks brand new and is great fun.
    K.S. Klain

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by R gould View Post
    You can pick good folders for 6x6 to 6x9 fairly cheaply,
    Richard
    Hmm...I joined recently to film. So, I have no idea about the names of folders. :-(
    OM-1n: Do I need to own a Leica?
    Rolleicord Va: Humble.
    Holga 120GFN: Amazingly simple yet it produces outstanding negatives to print.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    i would suggest starting with an older TLR such as a mamiya C3, rolleicord, or yashicamat.
    Trying to start medium format with a $10 camera will get results you would expect from a $10 camera.
    But if you spend around $100 you will end up with a much better understanding of the quality available from medium format.
    Go not to the elves for counsel, for they will say both yes and no.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I started out with all the stuff people listed. The one that really got me hooked, however, was the Zenza Bronica SQ I had for a while. Beautiful finder, wonderful craftsmanship, awesome lenses. And they're dirt cheap as far as 6x6 SLRs go.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    agfa clack 4x4cm. On local markets here for 3 euro.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quality of MF surpass the quality of 35mm even if many will say that 35mm as so excellent and as good as MF, i may agree that 35mm can be as good but never can be better if you take the best 35mm against the best MF, but looking at 6x6 and 6x7 and larger against 35mm, sorry people, i will take that 6x6+ even if it costs $5000 over 35mm even if it costs $50.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It sounds like you're looking for a 6x7, not a 645 or 6x6. So keeping with your request, I'd look at a Koni Omega. They are a dirt cheap 6x7 rangefinder with excellent quality glass. I bought one to carry in the pickup for less than $100, and a nicer one for about $125 both came with a lens. One even came with a 220 back in addition to the 120 back.

Good luck with you search.

Mike

Page 1 of 8 1234567 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin