Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,962   Posts: 1,558,332   Online: 907

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

Qantas promoting TLRs

I just received my annual membership update with the new card from Qantas, and the flyer containing the Qantas Gold card features a young lady brandishing some kind of TLR. It is shown from one side and you can just make out the two lenses behind the foreground stalks of wheat or whatever. It seems to be a trend here in Australia to use film cameras in advertising. Very cool.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The past year or so I started to see more and more adds, mainly clothing companies, showing old SLRs or polaroid cameras. That's indeed very good.

What I'm not sure is if there is a possible legal issue if they would use recent gear in their adds...
    Last edited by woodsb; 05-06-2011 at 01:39 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Legal issue? What for, the free advertising?
    Hasselblad 501CM, Mamiya RB67SD, Rollei 6003SRC, Nikonos V, Canon EOS 3

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by film_man View Post
    Legal issue? What for, the free advertising?
    Agreed. What possible legal issue could there be with just holding something? It's not making a derogatory or defamatory statement.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    We noticed that advert in our membership renewal too.
    Good for Qantas with an imaginative angle on advertising, even if a TLR is challenging to place in context.

For the ad agencies managing huge account like that for Qantas, they frequently use retro, vintage or uncommon props in the shoots. Better a TLR or something interesting to grab the imagination than the latest and greatest digi...

What "legal issue" is being referred to here??

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Poisson Du Jour View Post
    What "legal issue" is being referred to here??
    I don't think there is an issue as such, it was just the idea of one company showing another company's product in its advertisement.

It's no different from seeing a street full of Ford and General Motors cars in an advertisement or a TV program. If I was a manufacturer of a product I would welcome such free advertising.

Whilst it is common for TV companies to mask off manufacturer's logos when products are shown on TV programs (at least, they do here in the UK) this is more to appease their advertisers who might claim unfairness rather than any legal issue.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    A couple of passing tourist ladies commented favourably on my Yashicamat 124G this very day, perhaps they had travelled Qantas. Unfortunately they gave no indication that I personally showed any sign of being particularly interesting or cool. I don't use it very often, just needed a light weight MF camera today.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Here in the U.S., Ancestry.com has a television ad that features a version of the Minolta Autocord. It is the one with two round light meter-type "eyes" on top. Very cool.
    Geo.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    The other day I noticed one of those Progressive insurance ads showed the saleswoman holding what appeared to be some kind of Hawkeye Brownie-type camera.

My guess is that they add a kind of retro visual vibe to the shot, and they are cheap props that they don't have to worry about damaging.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I saw a Louis Vuitton chronograph ad with a hip guy brandishing a Hassy. I rather liked it.

DIY 4x5 | DIY 6x17 | DIY 6x24 anarmorphic pinhole | Pentax' SV & SP 1000 | Rolleiflex | Kalloflex | Weltix | Royal 35-M | Leica M4-2 | Polaroid 250 | Polaroid 110A / 600SE conversion | DIY Polaroid View | DUO Polaroid TLR | Vito CL | Pentacon SIX | Kiev 6C | Canon EF | Mamiya 1000s

My Blogspot
    My Flickr
    My APUG Gallery

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin