Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,826   Posts: 1,582,028   Online: 820

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Mamiya RB67 Polaroid Backs

So I did it, after shooting with my Yashica TLR for a few years I finally went onto KEH and purchased an RB. I wanted the freedom of an SLR. I have always been fascinated with the idea of Polaroid backs and see that they are pretty inexpensive these days so I have a few questions. First is it correct in thinking that the NPC back has a fixed P adapter and should just plug and play? What about the Lane Model III back? For all of you that have used or use one can you tell me the pros and cons of each back? What about examples with Fuji's black and white film? I am getting married in June and my plan is to be comfortable using for candids then.

Thanks!
    ~Mike
    Last edited by mr. mohaupt; 05-06-2011 at 12:38 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Spelling.. Typed from iPhone

Shooter
    Medium Format
    *crickets*

Ok well not limited to RB's does anyone have any sample shots they care to share of Polaroinds(instant film) taken with a MF camera? Preferably shots with Fuji's Black and White 100 speed instant film.

Thanks!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It's not B&W but it's a polaroid nonetheless and it wasn't shot on an RB but on my photo instructors Hasselblad.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I use the NPC back on my RZ67. It works great, the only issue I have is that it doesn't transmit the ISO to the camera body for autoexposure with the metered prisms. For use with the RB it'd be fine.

Also be aware that the film is quite expensive, around $10 a pack, and that the shape of the polaroid back disrupts the ergonomics of the camera a bit.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I have use fp100b and fp100c quite a lot, but mostly in 4x5 format on a crown graphic. I have used it on an rb too, but not so much. I also like fp3000b and posted an example of that somewhere. These are all great films.

Fp100c is great fun for emulsion lifts, you just take a shot, develop it normally, then throw that in boiling water for a few mins. The emulsion floats off and is quite durable- it can be gently stretched and mounted on paper or enlarged etc., though it gets crinkly after being floated off and dried.

Here is a recent shot I took on 4x5 fp100c with the crown graphic. Young friend all spiffed up for his first prom:

http://keithwilliamsphoto.net/noah.jpg

These instant prints have amazing resolution- actually, they can be scanned and enlarged quite substantially.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have an NPC back but haven't used any others. I mostly use the 100C but also use 3000B and 100B with my Mamiya RB67 and Polaroid Land Camera Automatic 100 pack film. The NPC back doesn't rotate, you remove the rotating back before mounting it. The image is square so it doesn't really matter.

The NPC back doesn't use all of the 3.25x4.25" film. It looks like this:

Polaroid Automatic 100 by Harry Pulley, on Flickr

And:

IMG_0002 by Harry Pulley, on Flickr

The 3000B can be hand held but has poor reciprocity, not even good to 1s. The 100B by contrast is great to 10s so it works very well on a tripod. The 100B is higher resolution than the 3000B and 100C.
    Harry Pulley - Visit the BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE FORUM

Happiness is...

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Images
    Harry, any chance you can attach those to the forum? I can't view flickr here.
    Cheers,
    Tom.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tomalophicon View Post
    Harry, any chance you can attach those to the forum? I can't view flickr here.
    Cheers,
    Tom.
    Sure.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Yashicaflex.jpg   Polaroid.jpg  

Happiness is...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Harry,

Thanks! I ended up purchasing a NPC back from Fleabay for cheap. Thank you for attaching samples too, I was really interested in what they look like. Would you say its a 7x7 sized image?

Timmy, I picked up two packs of 100B for $9.50 each. Much more pricey then 120 but worth it IMO. Will be fun to shoot with.

Keith, I wish I would have saw your post before I purchased instant film. I only purchased 100B and would have loved to try lifting the emulsion and mounting it on water color paper or something. I plan on buying some more next payday so I will be sure to pick up color as well.

I saw that people can get the negatives to stick to glass on the toy camera & Polaroid forum. Have you guys tried that yet? Does it work with 100B film as well?

Thanks!
    ~M

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I get a 73x76mm image on the 3.25x4.25" film. The Polaroid Land Camera Automatic 100 fills the whole thing of course.

You can do emulsion lifts with 100B as well, looks beautiful on watercolour paper.

You can use bleach to separate the negative.

100C is cheaper, under $8/pack so grab some of that too if you like color as well.

Happiness is...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin