Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,702   Posts: 1,482,657   Online: 679

Thread: Bessa6X9 Folder

Shooter
    Multi Format

Bessa6X9 Folder

Lens Voigtlander Voigter 10,5 cmm f/7,7
    Anybody has any experience with this camera?
    " A loving and caring heart is the beginning of all knowledge " ~ Thomas Carlyle ~

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I have one. I assume it's the old, cheap version with the Vario shutter and portrait-group-landscape zone focus? That old Voigtar is no Skopar, but it has great character. Here's a few from mine.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Good pictures, I'm afraid mine is the cheapo one. Where do yo leave the arrow? Where do you see the zones. I checked the lens, but they are ilegileble. Any guidance?
    " A loving and caring heart is the beginning of all knowledge " ~ Thomas Carlyle ~

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I like having the "cheap one". Here's the manual from Mike Butkus' site. There are a few good illustrations of the shutter faceplate clearly showing the distance markings.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have one, and I've found that the lens is OK---a competent uncoated triplet with all the virtues and vices thereunto appertaining, as it were---but the light-tightness of the body is a little dubious. I tend to get light leaks from one end. Not sure how much this is my particular body vs. a characteristic of the model, but it does seem like the design isn't very aggressively lightproofed to me.

I don't have mine at hand to check, but to my recollection it does have a (coarse) numeric distance scale along with the "Landschaft, Gruppe, Portrait" indicators. Realistically, this is a camera where depth of field is your friend.

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ntenny View Post
    ---a competent uncoated triplet with all the virtues and vices thereunto appertaining, as it were----NT
    Summs it up pretty well, but I have an affinity for uncoated triplets.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Rusbarsky View Post
    ---a competent uncoated triplet with all the virtues and vices thereunto appertaining, as it were----NT

Summs it up pretty well, but I have an affinity for uncoated triplets.
    Many of these older soldiers have only small apertures and slow shutters like these Bessas, while the uncoated triplets generally have low contrast.

But I find this a match made in heaven for film like Ilford PanF. Everyone complains bitterly about how contrasty the film is, but when you put it together with a soulmate like an old Bessa the two really, truly shine for one another.

but the light-tightness of the body is a little dubious
    I don't have mine at hand to check, but to my recollection it does have a (coarse) numeric distance scale along with the "Landschaft, Gruppe, Portrait" indicators. Realistically, this is a camera where depth of field is your friend.

-NT
    I have two, both with the the cheap Vario shutter and Voigtar lens. One is marked in meters and labeled in Deutsch while the other is marked in feet and labeled in English. The only difference I can find between the two is the paint for the markings and labels.

I find both are light tight through judicious use of metal light traps built into the clam shell as it closes. The light leak I did find in one was a result of a very small tear in the bellows at the front standard. A small dab of liquid electrical tape and I've never had any more problems.

DOF is truly your friend here, but the cameras themselves are little jewels in my mind. OK, maybe they're aquamarines instead of diamonds. But they're cute, pocket-able, and fun.

Take it out and use it. It deserves the exercise.
    Michael Batchelor
    Industrial Informatics, Inc.
    www.industrialinformatics.com

The camera catches light. The photographer catches life.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelbsc View Post
    Many of these older soldiers have only small apertures and slow shutters like these Bessas, while the uncoated triplets generally have low contrast.

But I find this a match made in heaven for film like Ilford PanF. Everyone complains bitterly about how contrasty the film is, but when you put it together with a soulmate like an old Bessa the two really, truly shine for one another.
    Yeah, that makes sense. On similar principles, though it sounds weird, I like uncoated triplets with slide film---the high contrast of the film and the low contrast of the lens kind of compensate for each other, and the colour rendition has a certain character that I can't easily describe.

Tri-X in Diafine seems like a natural possibility too, though I don't think I've ever really used it in a folder.

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Plenty of good advice. Thanks guys

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin