Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,971   Posts: 1,523,568   Online: 864

Shooter
    Multi Format

Airesflex Type Z quirky film transport

Hi all.

Today I received my new to me latest toy, an Airesflex Type Z with Showakoki Coral lenses. I'm quite familiar with TLRs but this particular model has a sort of quirky film transport mechanism. I searched for a manual online @ butkus but they don't have one. There are 2 buttons on the right hand side of the camera, one is above and just to the left of the focusing knob and button #2 is set into the film advance knob itself.

When I press button #1 (not really a press, more of a slide it to the side), nothing happens (no film loaded, back is open). When I press button #2 (no film loaded, back open, take up spool in correct slot), the take up spool is released & jumps out of the slot. The film counter (which previously shows not-quite-frame number 1), is now totally blank.

Next, I press buttons #1 & #2 together. film counter now shows the letter 'S'. I presumed this meant start so I loaded up a roll, aligned the arrows with the start mark, closed the back and wound the advance knob until it stopped at frame 1. I shot off a frame and to my surprise the film advance knob now won't turn at all. After much fiddling, I found out that by pressing button #2, I was able to advance to the next frame.

Weird ain't it?

My findings are pretty much repeated here: http://nikomat.org/priv/camera/medni...s/aires-e.html, although in a sort of Japenglish, so I'm not quite sure if I understand it correctly.

Does anyone have the same camera? I'd appreciate if anyone can confirm this is indeed how the Airesflex works.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have a similar TLR, a 'Moonflex' with the same film transport. You slide button 1, and push button 2 at the start of a roll. Then it's just button 2 after each shot, when there's film inside. Fun cameras. Remember, the film advande is not coupled with the shutter. At least not on mine, so it's easy to double expose, or worse, advance without exposure.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    olleorama: Thanks for your reply, appreciate it very much. It's good to know that what I'm doing is correct. One has to wonder though, what is the exact function of pushing just button #1?

Yup, on the Ariesflex Type Z there's no double exposure prevention either, and you can cock & release the shutter as many times as you like on the same frame. I make it a point to advance to the next frame whenever I've exposed one.

Thanks again!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You use button 1 to reset the counter. Button 2 you must press to be able to advance the frames. So, cock the shutter, expose, push button two, advance film..

I have now upgraded to seagull 4A, or I think that is an upgrade. If anybody wants a nicely priced TLR with red leatherette send me a PM.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks again. It all makes sense now.

I'll take a Japanese made TLR, no matter how obscure, over a Chinese one any day of the week. Of course, that's just me

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You are very wrong my friend. The rolleiflex style crank and 4 element 3 group lens design makes a lot of difference.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I had a Yashica Mat EM once, it too had a crank. Somehow, I still preferred a knob advance, like the one on my Yashica. Re: the quad lens, well...that can't be denied Still, some triplets can be quite sharp when stopped down.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin