Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,711   Posts: 1,548,637   Online: 1117

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'd not "upgrade" until the old one dies. If it ain't broke, don't fix it, as the saying goes.

An in-camera meter may speed up your shooting, but it will also provide you with worse exposures, simply due to the fact that it is a reflected meter that reads the composition, rather than an incident meter that reads the light. Is getting worse (but probably usable, most of the time) exposures worth the convenience?

As for aperture priority, the same comments apply, as that mode gets it's information from the in-camera light meter.

In other words, it seems like a great expense for things that are not only unneeded, but will actually make your pictures worse (in a technical sense).

And besides all that, the old ones just feel way better in the hand to me, and in overall feel.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The 67II has a number of features which, for me, make it a worthwhile upgrade. Most notably is the much brighter viewfinder, which is attributed to the 67II's focus screens, which are easily interchanged and IMHO, superior to the beattie screens, which my older 67 has. If you do a lot of long exposure work the 67II has a switch that locks the miiror up instead of using battery power. This significantly extends battery life if you're doing long exposures.
    As to 2F/2F's comments, I can only say that as someone who has used the 67 system for over 10 years, I disagree that the older 67's feel better in the hand. Since I got a 67II, the 67 has been collecting dust. This is purely a matter of personal preference, you'd have to handle both and decide for yourself.
    Using a reflected light meter doesn't necessarily result in worse exposures. Like all instruments you have to know how to use them. I believe Ansel Adams used reflected light spot meters with pretty good results.
    The problem with the 67II's is the price, which has gone up in recent months. If i were looking for one, I'd try to find the body only, as the price of the AE prism is in the $500 range.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by surfotog View Post
    Using a reflected light meter doesn't necessarily result in worse exposures. Like all instruments you have to know how to use them. I believe Ansel Adams used reflected light spot meters with pretty good results.
    Generally with any reflected light meter, internal or hand held, if you exclude the sky or most of the sky, the light readings will be spot=on, regardless of the camera or meter.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I use a handheld incident meter for most of my photos, except where I'm trying to get a quick/easy photo when a built-in reflected light meter would be handy. However, as the 6x7 family is not exactly a convenient point-and-shoot camera, it's more likely I'll be using the handheld meter and using a 35mm camera for the on-the-move photos.

The brighter screen in the 67ii does appeal. Ideally I'd just change the one in my 6x7 but from what I've read it's not a user-servicable item, like in (for example) my F3.

Thanks to all posters in this thread for an interesting variety of aspects to consider. I think if 67ii bodies were cheaper the upgrade would be a no-brainer, but at their current cost I'm having second thoughts about the plan.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin