Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,669   Posts: 1,481,754   Online: 937

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Upgrade 6x7 to 67ii?

I've got a Pentax 6x7 (MLU version) which I quite enjoy, but I'm now considering upgrading it to a 67ii. My 6x7 is in reasonable condition, but this particular 67ii is in very good condition and is with box and manual etc.

Obviously I'd incur a substantial cost to upgrade given that 6x7 bodies are fairly cheap whereas 67ii ones are still expensive (eg $1000 to $1500).

So, would I gain much in upgrading? A built-in meter would speed up my workflow, and the option to be able to use aperture priority would be handy, even if I wouldn't always use it. Are there any other items which would make it worthwhile, or should I just keep my money and stick with the 6x7?

Thanks!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I went from a 6x7 with mirror lock up to a 67II with the AE prism II. I'm glad I made the change.

The biggest concern to me was the condition of the cameras. My 6x7 had to get repaired a couple times, and the local shop that fixed it closed so that was a factor. I had the opportunity to get a 67II in what looked like very good condition, so I traded in the old one on the newer one. It's served me well without a problem.

The 6 zone metering on the new one is generally very good. Exposure compensation is easy to dial in, you still have to remember to reset it when you don''t want it but it sits out on top. I like the user interface of the 67II better.

I'm glad I made the change.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks for the feedback.

I hadn't thought about condition/servicing, that's a good point.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I haven't had any serious issues with my 6x7. Whenever I think about the 67ii, I go and look at some of the images on flickr, and ask myself if they really look any better than anyone else's images from the 6x7...the answer has never been yes. Yeah it's a great camera and has a lot of convenient features over the original. But, is it really necessary. At least as a college student, the answer is no. It's still a great camera, but I feel like if I had $1000-1500 to spend, I would buy a Mamiya 7ii and 80/4 any day.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I too have a 6x7 w/MLU and have often thought of upgrading to the 6x7II. The attracting features to me are the brighter viewfinder (or so I have read), and the possibility of being able to manually set shutter speed in 1/2-stop increments. The latter requires a modification be done to the camera, but for me would be worth it for how I like to bracket with slide film. Otherwise, the many electronic features of the II don't mean a whole lot to me, although I might come to like them if I had them.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Denverdad View Post
    The attracting features to me are the brighter viewfinder (or so I have read)
    That's one aspect of my 6x7 that is a bit annoying, the viewfinder is a bit dim. I've done what I can to clean the viewfinder but it's still not great, even with a f2.4 lens. It's not too bad but it could be better.

and the possibility of being able to manually set shutter speed in 1/2-stop increments.
    I work around this limitation on my 6x7 by using half-stop apertures. ie, on my lenses there's a clear click on the aperture ring on each half stop.

Otherwise, the many electronic features of the II don't mean a whole lot to me, although I might come to like them if I had them.
    Same here, although the option to use aperture priority would be nice to have occasionally.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    You can always install a Beattie screen in the 6x7. Probably cheaper than upgrading to the 67II.
    I have never felt compelled to spend my money upgrading because the lenses are the same.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    67ii is a more modern and much better camera than the old 6x7 and 67. It's likely going to be a one way trip for you going from 6x7 or 67 to 67ii. I got mine 8 years ago and have enjoyed it every bit ever since. It is no longer made. If you run into one in great shape with a good price you may regret it for not getting it. I have built a system on it with 10 lenses. It can do everything except commercial wedding shoots.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It is an APUG tradition that when a post like this appears that some big bore has to push their agenda for their own equipment choice even though the OP does not want to hear about anything other than his desires.

Given that is vacuum has not been filled:
    Now is a good time to step up to great MF equipment! Step up to Hasselblad and think square!

Now that I got that off my chest, have a nice day.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Well, Steve, I think the OP should consider a Minox or Olympus Pen instead. Or a 5X7.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin