Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,504   Posts: 1,543,460   Online: 946

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm

Yashica MAT meter question?

I am trying to decide whether or not to go on a hunt for a battery that will work in my Yashica light meter, or just say Oh, Well, and use a hand-held meter, which I'm currently doing. When I got the camera new, about 25+ years ago, the meter worked just fine, but I think that the batteries were different then, too. Now, I can get the meter to read in really bright light, but I don't trust the readings at all, at all. And in room light , it doesn't register at all, at all. Do the meters drift, or get cooties, or burn out, or is it a battery issue?

What is your collective experience?

With best regards,

Stephen

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have two Yashica's, Mat LM and a D, a hand held meter is all I use(or sunny 11).
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    35mm
    Yeah, Rick, I had forgotten about the Sunny 11 (or Sunny 16) rule, depending on the kind of film used.

With best regards,

Stephen

Shooter
    Multi Format
    From what I recall when I overhauled mine in 1985, there are two trimmers for the meter. Whenever I see two trimmers I think of one setting the offset and the other setting the slope of the response but the only PDF 'service' file I have is just an exploded parts diagram, so I can't say for sure if that is the function of the two trimmers. ( http://www.photovintage.it/manuali%2...l%20Repair.pdf ) Mine works fine the common zinc-air 675 batteries with a washer around the waist (like a Wein 625 cell).

If you have a choice of setting the meter response, I usually go for dim light. As pointed out sunny/11 is usually a good standard for brighter light.
    Last edited by ic-racer; 05-13-2011 at 08:14 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Try googling C.R.I.S. They make a battery adaptor that should help. It works in mine.
    Geo.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    no point in a battery adapter, the material in the meter itself is probably exhausted its life anyway. selenium can break down in 20-30 years and will affect your results even if you get the right amount of stable current through it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Up here in north central Pa. it's rarely blazing sunshine, mostly hazy or somewhat cloudy, the usual is sunny 11. I use a Sekonic L-397 when convenient.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Newt_on_Swings View Post
    no point in a battery adapter, the material in the meter itself is probably exhausted its life anyway. selenium
    You mean cadmium??

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If it's a Mat 124-G you need a PX625 Mercury 1.35V battery and that's a problem to get it.
    Alternative Silveroxide 1,55V with a reducer (to 1,35V) are available or the mentioned Weincells.
    Without the right and stable voltage the meter is not acurate.
    My favorite store: http://www.fotohuisrovo.nl

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yeah, if it needs a battery (my Yashica Mat124 does, not sure about the non-124) it isn't selenium. Mine is CdS - Cadmium diSulfide. I was pleasantly surprised when the thing actually worked. In practice I use my Luna Pro SBC with it, but I've been really surprised at how often I carefully take a reading with the Luna Pro, often moving up to the subject, and then when I frame it I see the camera meter fall into agreement.

I don't, however, know what kind of battery is actually in it! I've only had it a few months and never bothered to open the battery cover since I use the Luna Pro with it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin