Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,876   Posts: 1,520,254   Online: 1127

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    BAB

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Don't forget to insulate the splices !

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Sorry to revive this thread after so long, but I just got a GA645 with the same problem. I found this YouTube video that purports to address it, though it's done in a sort of wordless Marcel Marceau-camera-repair style (with amusing characters drawn on the repairman's gloves), and I'm a bit confused as to what he actually did.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4EXjkDjnzoU

One helpful diagnostic I noticed was that the flash signal is on in the LCD in M and A mode, even when the flash is not popped up.

But I noticed that he took off the whole top of the camera, while, if I read your post correctly, you only took off the flash assembly itself.

I know it's been a while since you posted this, and it might not be fresh in your memory, but any tips for a repair newbie on trying to accomplish this myself?

Thanks!
    David

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    a happy popping noise
    Somewhat of an understatement maybe? You only do this once and surely it is a right of passage to anyone who tinkers with cameras. When I was trying to repair an old flash I knew enough that the capacitor needed discharging, but evidently not enough to do it safely. The bang when I stuck my screwdriver across the contacts was a little more that a happy popping noise. More like an ear cracking explosion that scared the s**t out of me.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mr rusty View Post
    Somewhat of an understatement maybe? You only do this once and surely it is a right of passage to anyone who tinkers with cameras. When I was trying to repair an old flash I knew enough that the capacitor needed discharging, but evidently not enough to do it safely. The bang when I stuck my screwdriver across the contacts was a little more that a happy popping noise. More like an ear cracking explosion that scared the s**t out of me.
    My GA645 was worked on long ago when I found that the rotary dial was acting all strange. The tech took apart the top of the camera and cleaned the dust out of that area. I was sitting there while the work was being done when out of nowhere, the MOST HELLACIOUS BOOM you could imagine sounded. BANG!! I thought for sure my camera was reduced to a worthless piece of junk. The tech seemed totally nonplussed, and I had to be firmly convinced that he didnt ruin it. But he didnt and I have operated the camera just fine for several years. He cleaned the dial nicely and it has performed flawlessly.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin