Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,302   Posts: 1,536,182   Online: 643

Shooter
    Multi Format

How much is it worth?

Buying new "vintage" cameras for someone can be very easy as she or he eventually grew up with them, so they know how much something can be worth.
    On the other hand there are people like me, that always feel they have paid too much for a piece of glass or a body...

...so, the intention of this thread is to help someone get an idea how much to pay for the camera he or she is looking forward to buy...

Let me start with two questions...

a) Yashica Mat 124G - like new condition, original box and guarantee papers (of course useless nowadays) with leather case and working metering

The seller asks 200eur, I'll be offering 130eur, what do you think?

b) Bronica ETRsi - also like new condition, 50mm PE, 75mm EII, 150mm MC, waist level finder, AE prism, 2x120 film back, 2 screens, E28 converter, speed grip and ALU case

The seller asks 600eur for the whole package, I'd give him 500...

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by pecama View Post
    Buying new "vintage" cameras for someone can be very easy as she or he eventually grew up with them, so they know how much something can be worth.
    On the other hand there are people like me, that always feel they have paid too much for a piece of glass or a body...

...so, the intention of this thread is to help someone get an idea how much to pay for the camera he or she is looking forward to buy...

Let me start with two questions...

a) Yashica Mat 124G - like new condition, original box and guarantee papers (of course useless nowadays) with leather case and working metering

The seller asks 200eur, I'll be offering 130eur, what do you think?

b) Bronica ETRsi - also like new condition, 50mm PE, 75mm EII, 150mm MC, waist level finder, AE prism, 2x120 film back, 2 screens, E28 converter, speed grip and ALU case

The seller asks 600eur for the whole package, I'd give him 500...
    The usual reply is to check KEH for retail prices then deduct accordingly to reach a bid price.

Yashica 124Gs can be all over the place. Just keep in mind that the battery for the meter is no longer available. Old "mint" cameras often need service due to inactivity.

ETRsi gear is pretty cheap now, so do some research first.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The other usual reply is to check the ebay complete auctions.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The Yashicamat 124G is possibly worth 200 euros if absolutely mint with a case, I had no problems getting a battery for my 124 recently and my meter is accurate. I'd probably pay up to about 150 euros though as they are quite common.

ETRSi's and similar are selling for wildly different prices, so while that's a lot of kit for 600 euros there may well be better bargains.

In both cases it depends as well on who's selling the items.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    KEH is selling Yashica 124G's in the $300-$400 range.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    Multi Format
    What is the condition? Come on honestly this time!
    Return rights?
    Verify with KEH.com
    Buy from KEH.com!

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    This are the actual pictures of the Yashica...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails _DSC0168.jpg   _DSC0169.jpg   _DSC0170.jpg   _DSC0171.jpg  

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Do you get a no questions asked return policy worked out in the agreement? If you can work that into your agreement that would help the cause. Looking at pictures of a clean looking camera is hard for anyone to judge without firing and testing the meter with a known working meter, test the advance, look for scratches, etc. I never buy used unless a return period of 3 to 14 days is extended to me. That way I can run my film through, develop my test rolls, evaluate and determine if I have a winner. Without that guarantee, you are liable to get a camera that might have an issue that the owner might not even know about. I often pay a bit more for a used camera for this reassurance. I would rather get a winner than a lemon that is why so many like Keh, because a no questions asked guarantee is offered w/i 14 days. Be careful of As-Is purchases unless you are getting an amazing deal and consider the camera 'for parts' from the beginning.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Looking at the first photo of the 124G, there appears to be a crimp in the back just above the turn. And a depression in the body. The overall curve in that area appears off, flatter than on the other side view.

If so, I personally would not buy the camera. The metal in those backs is not very strong, and even trying to reform it could be the end of the back.
    Last edited by Dan Daniel; 05-22-2011 at 12:10 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    That's a good point Dan. I have a 124 with similar damage and when I had the shutter serviced was told the focus frame was twisted. It could be repaired but the cost was going to be uneconomic, as the camera worked OK except the slow shutter speeds I just had the CLA in the shutter. The camera will wear out far quicker, there's a noticeable twist as the film's wound on and the shutter's re-cocked. Yashica's are not that robust, unlike Rolleiflex's, and there can be issues when a cameras been dropped or banged.

Ian

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin