Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,709   Posts: 1,548,619   Online: 1161

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Going MF?

Shooter
    35mm
    Jeff,
    KEH!! HAHA!! It's a store! I'm sorry.. I never realized this! I'm checking it right now!

Geelong & Castlemaine, Victoria, Australia
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    6x7 = 4x5, but without the fiddling. If you don't like extended fiddling like shifts, rise, focus in-out, swing, tilt, rotate, filter compensation, dark slide in-out, cock shutter, (scene and light has changed completely at this point); repeat then FIRE, then stick with the fixed format that will no doubt come with its own meter and save you a lot of grief (and developing a caustic temperament to boot).

The 6x6 format is excellent — unbeatable for simple subjects in B&W landscape, an evergreen choice for those tying the knot and lots of basics in framing and composition can be learnt instinctively from that attractive format. A Russian photographer friend I correspond in Beijing with shoots all his Velvia landscapes using 6x6, plus star trails — anything and everything.
    .::Gary Rowan Higgins

A comfort zone is a wonderful place. But nothing ever grows there.
    —Anon.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ambar View Post
    Jeff,
    KEH!! HAHA!! It's a store! I'm sorry.. I never realized this! I'm checking it right now!

Jeff

Shooter
    35mm
    Quick question.. do all Hasselblads 5xx lack a light meter? I can't seem to understand the lineup..

Shooter
    35mm
    What about the RZ series? are they noisy?

Shooter
    35mm RF
    If you're shooting in situations where it helps to be discrete, a Rolleiflex is a big benefit. The leaf shutter and lack of mirror make for a very quiet camera.

Anything with a mirror is going to be loud and, depending on the situation, might draw unwanted attention to you.

The fact that the leaf shutter is behind a metal shroud further dampens the shutter noise. It's not silent, but it is unobtrusive. Downside will be a dimmer focusing screen, although you can always change to a better aftermarket version.

KEH (keh.com) is an Atlanta-based seller of used camera gear. I'm a folding camera fan, and most of the older 6x6 cameras can be held like an SLR.

A Zeiss Ikon Super Ikonta III (and also the 532/16), for example, can be focused with the thumb of the left hand. Downside: These had Tessar lenses. No slouch, but the later Carl Zeiss Planar is a better performer wide open. These are 6x6 cameras.

As with all cameras, there's always a compromise involved. Speed vs. weight vs. noise vs. flexibility.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Already mentioned GF670 Fuji or the same model C.V. Bessa III 667 range finder camera. 6x6cm and 6x7cm possibility, great 3,5/80mm Heliar lens, light in weight: 1000 grams exactly, portable and compact, build in light meter, AE, collapsible, super quiet.

But the price is pretty high and very difficult to get second hand because this camera is on the market for only two years.

http://www.voigtlaender.de/cms/voigt...dih7jzkae.html

Mill in R'stein: 6x7cm Rollei Retro 100 TONAL

Odessa opera building: 6x6cm Fuji Reala 100
    My favorite store: http://www.fotohuisrovo.nl

Shooter
    35mm
    It sounds like you might like a Pentax 645N, if you want a meter. They have built-in matrix metering and are good for handheld shooting. Medium format cameras with metering are pretty rare. Medium format cameras with good/useful meters are even more rare.
    f/22 and be there.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hasselblad with a PME prism handles like a slightly larger 35mm SLR. The swing of the Hasselblad is not quite as fast, but the ergonomics are as good or better than a 35mm camera. [I have multiples of both] Mirror slap is an urban myth that is perpetrated by the rangefinder fanatics who know that they have been left in the dust. The PME contains a light meter.

Makten is so full of huey that ...
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    With regard to 6x6/6x7/6x4.5 any can be cropped to whatever you want. Even cropped one direction any MF will be a considerable step up from 35mm.

One thought here in regard to the light meter, by all means if you "really need/want" an in camera metering do that.

That said, every camera's internal meter is a bit different and every time you switch lenses the angle it measures changes, it takes practice to become proficient with each meter and switching from meter to meter depending on what camera you grab that minute/day adds another layer of decisions about how to take a photo.

A nice handheld meter can help you standardize how you meter across all your cameras. I know I get much better and more consistent results using my handheld meter.
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin