Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,285   Posts: 1,535,252   Online: 938

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Going MF?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ambar View Post
    What about the RZ series? are they noisy?
    Yes they are noisy - but what a beautiful noise. I looked at Bronica's and RB's and finally settled on an RZ. I am extremely happy with the RZ. Be warned they are a brick - body and lenses can add up to quite a bit weight wise. However, the images they produce are just fantastic. They are now at bargain prices. Lenses and accessories are also readily obtainable. These cameras were the professional's workhorse and are built to last.

Shooter
    35mm
    Given the requirements (but one) I would go for an old, second-hand folding MF with leaf shutter. Extremely portable, very silent, the quality of MF in the pocket of your jacket. Frame ("sport") viewfinder is good for "walking". You can use those hand-held and you can use them with a tripod.
    A TLR should also conform pretty well to your requirements. Less portable, a bit heavier, but equally silent.

I agree with Mark, don't worry about in-camera metering. Unless you do wildlife, sport, etc. you are normally better off with external metering, either incident light meter or, when you cannot use incident metering, spot reflected light metering. Generally speaking, you need precise metering only with slides. If B&W is your field, metering should come behind any other camera requirement. External meters are both more precise and, for most kind of photographic activities, even more practical than in-camera meters.

If you practice the "zone system" you need an external spot meter anyway. In old cameras, in-camera meters are probably not working, not working long in the future, not sensitive enough, etc.
    Fabrizio Ruggeri fine art photography site: http://fabrizio-ruggeri.artistwebsites.com
    Stock images at Imagebroker: http://www.imagebroker.com/#/search/ib_fbr

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ambar View Post
    Your right.. This info should be useful..
    I shoot hand held 95% percent of the time. I tend to take advantage of shallow depth of focus so (I'll stop down as far as 5.6 or maybe 8 on my 35mm, but my preferred MO is f/4 or f/2.8). I do quite a bit of low light handheld stuff (which goes against the whole MF ideia), but I will frequently and quite happily push film (tri-x to 1600) in these situations.. even if my nikkor goes all the way to f/1.4 I'll try to stay above f/2.8. I think I can deal with a f/3.5 lens but I wouldn't get anything slower I think, at least not as my all round/default/first lens.
    I like to frame things relatively fast. I'm a patient photographer but I'm not meditating during my shooting.. If you know what I mean.
    THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT!
    I NEED AN INBUILT METER! Yes this is very true and well pointed out Markten. It's a reason for shying away from most of the Rolleis, as well as a point of severe confusion on my behalf when looking at some Hasselblads. After all.. do they have a meter? yes or no/sometimes/it depends?
    Then forget 99% of the cameras with a waist level finder (no metering), forget all the SLR:s (way too loud). Now there's two choices left; a TLR with a metering prism or a rangefinder with reasonably fast lens(es), which is very uncommon. That folding Fuji might actually be the best one since it does have metering and an f/3.5 lens, plus it's much smaller when folded than any of the other rangefinders (that I know of).

Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    Makten is so full of huey that ...
    I don't understand what that means, but I suppose it isn't anything kind.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by segedi View Post
    The Fuji GF670 is a great single lens, quiet, compact camera that I think would fit your requirements nicely. It has a meter and AE if I'm not mistaken, so slr like in that respect. No personal experience with it... yet. Your next best bet is Hasselblad. But they are loud. No 6x7 either, but so nice to use. But you can find much better deals than the one you heard about. I recently stepped up to MF and hope you enjoy the format as much as I am.
    I second these feelings. I have bought a GF670 recently and it is absolutely outstanding. It's great to have 6x6 and 6x7, one lens and less worries, folding, great ergonomics, fantastic metering system and...the shutter. Oh my God...I thought Leica and Rolleiflex were soft and quite but that baby is beyond stealth. It's like a feather going by, with no vibration whatsoever, and I can easily shoot hand-held at incredibly low speeds. Great camera!
    Last edited by MaximusM3; 05-20-2011 at 10:22 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The shutters on SLR are not that loud. Just another urban legend.

Leaf shutters will synch with strobes at all speeds. Focal plane shutter will only synch are one or a few speeds. With a leaf shutter one sets the aperture based on the guide number regardless of shutter speed. With focal plane shutters, only one shutter speed is typically available so there is no need for special calculations. However with focal plane shutters, focal plane flash bulbs need to be used and the shutter speed will make a difference on the aperature setting.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Why not try an old folder? there are several that do both 6x6 an 6x7 or 6x9, I have recently bought an Ensign selfix 820,takes 6x9, with built in mask for 6x6, basic, no metering or rangefinder and a fold up viewfinder, but the ross xpress lens takes cracking photos, a hand held meter is reasonably cheap and easy to use, and you can buy a simple range finder for a few pounds, fixed 105mm lens gives slight telephoto with 6/6, and if you want it a great conversation starter,
    Richard

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Despite the lack of meter built-in with the older, more affordable models, I'd put in another vote for the Rolleiflex. You can find a Rolleiflex 2.8 E with a meter (most likely not operating), or an F or GX with working meters (for a LOT more money). I haven't found the single lens to be that limiting. It is not silent, but it is a LOT quieter than a Hasselblad or an RB67 (both of which I have owned or currently do own). The RB is a great studio camera - I know people who do shoot them handheld but I find it very awkward because of the way you have to operate the camera.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Check out fuji 645 and 69.
    Also check out a crown graphic.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    The shutters on SLR are not that loud. Just another urban legend.
    SLR have a very noisy mirror. Focal plane shutters, in themselves, are not that noisy but in my experience leaf shutters are much less noisy than anything else.

My Canonet makes a small noise, my Voigtlaender Vito CLR (of the Sixties, leaf shutter) is really quiet, it makes less noise than my Kodak Instamatic 36. The Cosina - Voigtlaender Bessa-L which I received today is certainly noisier than the other two RFs I have, but is also certainly less noisy than all the other cameras I have (they are all SLRs).
    Fabrizio Ruggeri fine art photography site: http://fabrizio-ruggeri.artistwebsites.com
    Stock images at Imagebroker: http://www.imagebroker.com/#/search/ib_fbr

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Use flickr too see the results people get with different systems

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin