Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 75,272   Posts: 1,660,765   Online: 1022

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Going MF?

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    Unfortunately, when you ask a question to many people, you get many different answers. I think the thing to do is just get something, doesn't really matter what at the moment.
    Steve,
    I really don't mind the conflicting opinions.. I never expected people to solve these qualms of mine. I actually quite enjoy the different answers! They almost always come from the different challenges people around here face. I just hoped to educate myself with these experiences!
    I agree WHOLE HEARTILY With your statement: "just get something.." I often find that the best way to get started on something new is.. this might sound stupid.. Just start! I have no intention of over thinking this through but the I have to admit that the quality of the info users have shared with me has helped me tremendously! It shouldn't be too long now before I dive into this!

Elekm! Thanks again! Another wonderful shot that really helps me..!
    I have one quick and final question.. There shouldn't be any difference between the Schneider or Zeiss lens right? I have a nagging suspicion that in real life.. You're equally well served by both. Is that a fair statement?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think that a Bronica SQ or a Mamiya 645 Pro or Pro TL are the best all-around medium format cameras for the buck, if size and weight are a factor. If not, then Mamiya RB/RZ or Bronica GS-1. Since you want multi format capability, I would suggest one of the latter two, and just deal with the size. The Bronica seems lighter than my RZ, though I have not actually weighed either of them.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    35mm
    Also, I scan my shots (for the most part). I do thoroughly enjoy enlarging my pictures on paper but I don't normally have ready access to a lab. I am working on fixing that..
    One of the enlargers at this "potentially available" lab (??) does accept medium format.. At least 6x6 but i'm not sure if it'll go all the way to 6x9 (I do suspect it does though).
    You all know.. Slowly we find the means to achieve our goals. But the idea of working back from the enlarger's restrictions is a very sound argument! One I won't forget nor neglect when attempting LF!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    My brother uses a GF670 and it's a wonderful camera, so portable, great results, and is about the best looking camera going this side of a Leica MP. I use a Hasselblad, and while I like using it, it's lack of portability can be a real pain.

If you're committed to using tripods and getting out there with a heavy camera, Hasselblad is brilliant. If you want truly portable, I think GF670 or Mamiya 7 are the ones to consider.

Shooter
    35mm
    Alright!!
    So I visited a friend's house today and saw a shotty little yashicaflex thrown on top os a shelf.. I asked her what was the story behind it. She said she bought it at an antique store for $10(!) but she never had the patience to put it in working condition. I checked it all out.. Shutter and aperture seem perfectly operational.. It needs a good cleaning (a little bit of fungus on the lens) but nothing serious. I said let me put it to work and use it a bit! "It's a deal!"
    Tomorrow I'm sending it out to a local repair guy who does all the work on my analog equipment.
    I'm officially moving into MF!!
    Thanks everybody for your input!! It's not a Rollei, or a 7ii, or a GF670... but you can't beat free! I'm hoping that as a starter kit, it'll be lots of fun!

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I think the Yashica is a great place to start. You'll get the experience without it costing a lot of money. And then if you like it, you can look at other cameras from there.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    Use one camera; one film; and if you develop the film one developer.
    I've been shooting Tri-x, Velvia 50 and Provia 100 99% of the time in 35mm format.. I'm probably gonna stick with those, specifically starting with Tri-x!

Just dropped it off at the repair guy.. he said that one of the fungus spots might leave a tiny mark on the glass, but once he's done fixing it, there shouldn't be any real detriment to the image. Yea!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    Perhaps a folding camera like an Isolette or a Zeiss Ikonta or a Rolleicord or Yashicamat. Just something to get you started cheaply into medium format.
    Do you predict horse races too?

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin