Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,197   Posts: 1,531,411   Online: 872

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    rc51owner

c330 distance scale issue

Hey everyone,

I have just purchased a C330 with a blue dot 80mm lens. It appears to be in very good shape (bellows look new, light seals are flexible, tracks look new). I haven't run any film through it yet but it looks like a keeper. The only issue is that the distance scale doesn't show up in the view window. I removed the scale and tried to peer down the tube but couldn't see anything. I have attached two photos. One shows that the scale does actually exist :-) and the other shows the camera focused at a distance less than infinity.

Anyone know why I can't see the scale as the manual says I should? I know that it isn't vital but it would help me verify my focusing skills.

Regards,

M
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails P1020646.JPG   P1020647.JPG  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have a C-330 S, there is a moving curtain that slides from front to rear as the focus is moved outward. Yours may not be functioning, it needs to move as you focus closer. When bellows is fully retracted there should be numbers visable, and as you focus the curtain should move toward the rear.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum
    BTW: the big kid in my avatar is my hero, my son, who proudly serves us in the Navy. "SALUTE"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The moving curtain/shutter on the C330 is spring loaded. If that part is damaged, the shutter may stick closed, thus obstructing the distance scale.

My sense is that this problem isn't particularly unusual, as you see it from time to time in KEH listings for the camera.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

rc51owner
    Thanks Rick and Matt for the quick and knowledgeable responses! Do either of you (or anyone else) know how to fix this issue. I am competently mechanically to rebuild cars/motorcycles so would be okay with attempting a fix myself.

Regards,

M

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Do you really need it? I do not ever remember looking at mine for any reason, other than to tell you about yours. You will have to carefully peel the skin off the side to access screws to take it apart.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum
    BTW: the big kid in my avatar is my hero, my son, who proudly serves us in the Navy. "SALUTE"

rc51owner
    Hey Rick,

No I don't really need it as an indicator of where I have focused but it would be useful for determining the depth-of-field. However this use is rather limited by the lack of fstop markings and only being able to see half of the scale.

Coincidentally the leatherette is in need of replacing - lifting off on both sides. So I will have a look at it when I replace it.

Regards,

M

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It is an odd feature, look at focus distance, check f-stop, refer to chart to obtain dof. Meanwhile, you've lost the shot. Hmm...
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you like the DoF in the viewing lens, you will be happy with the DoF when then lens is stopped down.

Just take the camera out, use it, and enjoy.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    In the days of manual flash, I used to use distance scales in conjunction with guide numbers for aperture calculations.

The distance scale on these cameras is more of an estimate though than an accurate measure.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'd guess that omething is wrong with the little curtain, as suggested above.

Guessing D of F is usually a pain in the ass with linear distance scales. The good thing is that they really aren't that accurate in the first place.

I would take a look at the following article, which I found very helpful: http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/focus.htm.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin