Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,542   Posts: 1,572,787   Online: 879

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    What sort of results do you want?

By that I mean -

- do you like to project slides?
    - do you tend to print to a wide variety of sizes?
    - do you usually print to a standard size?
    - do you need to print really big?
    - do you like to contact print? and
    - do you have an enlarger and all the necessary accessories to print multiple formats?

My suggestion - try to borrow some of the formats you don't own.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Buy an RB67, with it you can shoot 645, 6x6 and 6x7. Then look for a nice 616 roll film folder to convert to 120 film. Personally I dislike 645 and don't bother with it

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You don't need a camera for every subject and purpose. If you like medium format, stick with one or two that you like. Something like Mamiya RZ or RB will allow you to use 645, 6x6, 6x7, and 6x8 (I think RB will). You can also have fun with square like Bronica. For panoramic, you can crop top and bottom. Printing full frame is one style. There is nothing wrong with cropping like many of us. You can also do wonderful thing with 35mm, too.

It's one thing to like gear and play around with many. It's quite another to think and limit yourself that without certain gear, you can't take/make an image that's right in front of you.

I use 35mm most of the time and 645 when I feel like it. I have a TLR (6x6) that I play with every now and then. At my print size (11x14 at most), I haven't felt a need for anything larger.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have several medium format rigs and use them all. Currently I have 2 Mamiya 645's (one is a super), an RB Pro S, a Fuji gs 645 and a Mamiya C33. My Fuji is my favorite walk around camera and my Mamiya 645 Super gets a lot of use. I enjoy the C33 because of the square format--great for the street with a 65mm wide angle. Finally, I have 2 pocket folders, a Zeiss Nettar 6x6 and a little Zenobia 645. I've acquired them over the past few years and enjoy using them all. I do have to admit that I have moments of indecision as what to shoot with but it makes adds variety to my shooting.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    OK! OK! i give in, i'm being lazy. I know thats a lame excuse with the 4x5. Although there are some landscapes around my area that i really want to capture that are like a few miles up a steep hill, no trail, lots of bushwacking. Not exactly 4x5 teritory. I am just going to stick with what i have for now. If i find a good deal on a camera that i want, like an etrs, pentax or mamiya 645/67, etc. I'll pick it up. I wasn't saying that i was just going to stop working with the bronica altogether until i get more cameras (that would be rather silly), but merely just trying to wrap my head around what other photographers have-equipment wise. You know its funny, when i was looking into medium format slr's a while back, i was totally tied to the 6x6 format, hence why i got the s2a. I'm more open to other formats now, but i do still love the square format. Also, I'm not saying i'm an equipment slut, more just saying that it is nice to have a choice. I think if i were given too many choices, i would never really be able to decide... so i think for now i am going to kick the idea of having more cameras out of my head... And maybe when i get the rectangle urges again, i will pick up a photo backpack and pack my cambo up in it and haul it up the hill. Anyways I was really just wondering what everyone thought, and i get a strong feeling of "stick with what you've got, stupid!" haha .

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    As Woody Allen said in Annie Hall, “Excuse me, but I have an appointment back on the planet Earth!”

Tough crowd out there.

I agree with Dan Daniel who said roughly 'one camera, one lens'. You would be amazed what it could do and how good you could get with it. Starting out I had a Mamiya 645 and an 80mm lens. I moved in and out and all about to get the shots. I would recommend this to anyone. There is a tendency to go into equipment overload which leads to analysis paralysis. With one camera and one lens it takes the over thinking out, at least give it a try. Focus on seeing instead of the equipment.

Disclaimer: This is my opinion, I fall victim to the overload too so I'm not perfect.

Best of luck,
    Curt
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have a Rolleiflex 2.8F which I enjoy once in a while, but I really like the RB67. Go with the RB67, you won't regret it.

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Curt View Post
    As Woody Allen said in Annie Hall, “Excuse me, but I have an appointment back on the planet Earth!”

Tough crowd out there.

I agree with Dan Daniel who said roughly 'one camera, one lens'. You would be amazed what it could do and how good you could get with it. Starting out I had a Mamiya 645 and an 80mm lens. I moved in and out and all about to get the shots. I would recommend this to anyone. There is a tendency to go into equipment overload which leads to analysis paralysis. With one camera and one lens it takes the over thinking out, at least give it a try. Focus on seeing instead of the equipment.

Disclaimer: This is my opinion, I fall victim to the overload too so I'm not perfect.

Best of luck,
    Curt
    You know, thinking about it, I should have known better in the first place to even consider wanting so many cameras. I learned photography with my dad's un-used Canon Eos a2 35mm with a 14mm rectalinear fisheye. As you can imagine, I had to be right up next to my subjects. With my bronica, I have 4 lenses for it. One sits unused (a massive 400mm lens), and two others usually sit in the camera bag. I almost always use the 50mm lens with it (what can i say, i like wide-angle lenses) So I guess i truly do just use one lens in most cases. I will sometimes take out one of the others, for the times when I need it, but it really is usually just the 50. The greatest focusing tool any camera has is your feet...

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by M.A.Longmore View Post
    You are 17, and it's tiring to carry around a 4X5 camera ?
    When I was your age, I had to carry my 4X5 barefooted ...

Get a friggin' jogging stroller to haul your camera around, CryBaby !!!

A 4X5 Camera, and roll film adapters equal affordability, and versatility.
    And $25.00 should get you a used stroller in great condition.

Ron
    Do they still make nappies for that thing?

NJS
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    skip 645.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin