Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,514   Posts: 1,543,661   Online: 1005

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My first medium format camera was the Mamiya RB67, which I love. So versatile with different backs including Polaroid for instant results. But heavy and noisy, at a recent APUG meeting even the photographers noticed the door slamming sound that is the mirror slap of the RB67. The 6x8 back is a bit of a joke, it is a whole 6mm wider than the 6x7 image only in portrait orientation IIRC!

My Dad gave me his old Yashicaflex 6x6 TLR and for candid stuff it is great. Just a fixed focal length, 80mm standard, and square so I think about composition differently. To be honest, I don't feel it is "cropaphobia" to want to shoot square differently than rectangular formats. I think if you just lazily shoot 6x6 and crop whatever later you'll find the resolution is poor, effectively the same as 35mm if you use 80mm for "stand offish" portraits which is OK, 35mm enlarges well but the RB67 with a longer lens makes a much better portrait IMO.

For $6.50 I picked up a Kodak Tourist 6x9 folder. It is really compact and simple, no meter, no focus aid other than a scale. For a camera just to keep in a jacket pocket it is easier to have on me than even a 35mm SLR. Only a collapsing lens compact is smaller than a folder.

For best results I use my RB67, the others are for quiet operation without a big slapping mirror in a more compact package.
    Last edited by hpulley; 05-24-2011 at 07:41 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Harry Pulley - Visit the BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE FORUM

Happiness is...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I used to be like you.....young with more cameras than I could really use....looking at other people's photographs and thinking I could do that with the right camera. I still have too many, but I've really ended up with three and they have their own justification/excuse. Hasselblad for almost everything, a Fuji GA645Zi (hate the automation, love the images) for handheld, and an ancient, beat up Leica for low light and fondle-factor. I really don't need to the Leica, but it is just too wonderful to use.

My advice is to stick with the Bronica mostly. For low light and handheld, you have the TLR. Buy a ton of film and paper and learn how to print. That is the hard part anyway!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You lost me when you wrote you hate 35mm for serious work.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you are concerned about the size, weight and bulk of 4x5, then you probably don't need to look at the RB67. I feel certain that my 4x5 Speed Graphic and 4x5 field camera weigh less and are more compact and easier to carry than my RB 67, which mostly sits on a shelf.

I had the opportunity to pick up several medium format cameras over the past several years. Some were even given to me. In using them all, I have determined my favorites. You really can't go wrong with the 6x6 format. I like 645 for some things, such as slides. Rectangle slides seem a little more normal than square, but that is probably due to looking at 35mm slides for so many years.

A better or different camera won't necessarily make your photographs any better. That's what I've found.

Dave

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Luseboy View Post
    With my bronica, I have 4 lenses for it. One sits unused (a massive 400mm lens), and two others usually sit in the camera bag. I almost always use the 50mm lens with it.
    Sell your TLR, sell the three lenses you never use and with the money buy a holiday to some great place you've never been before. Using just one camera and one lens you will amaze yourself by how good your photos are and with luck you may cure yourself of GAS.
    Steve.

Shooter
    35mm
    I feel certain that my 4x5 Speed Graphic and 4x5 field camera weigh less and are more compact and easier to carry than my RB 67, which mostly sits on a shelf.
    Film and film holders for 4x5, on the other hand, are many times larger for the speed graphic. I can carry probably 100 RB67 exposures in the same space as 2 4x5 film holders, and I don't have to worry about bringing film boxes and changing bags.
    f/22 and be there.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by M.A.Longmore View Post
    You are 17, and it's tiring to carry around a 4X5 camera ?
    When I was your age, I had to carry my 4X5 barefooted ...
    Ron
    Uphill, both ways, in the snow.

When I go on a hike or other camera carrying outing, I'll carry as much camera gear as I'm comfortably able for the distance and temperature. Format doesn't matter.

If I'm just bringing a DSLR, I'll bring 3 lenses with it. If it's 4x5, I'll bring as many film holders as I have room for with my speed graphic. If it's just the TLR, I'll bring a DSLR along for another option.

I'm slowly recovering from GAS (just need a few more lenses for LF and I'm temporarily healed), and I've got the stuff to choose from (such as 4 8x10 cameras). I like the TLRs (yashica c and rolleiflex) and will crop them if I want a non-square print. The more you use one TLR, the better you will get at it. Same goes for sticking with one film choice for a while.

If you've got money to spend, stockpile some film for the freezer.

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    I've thought about the same things and have decided on the following stuff:

(1) Pentacon Six--6X6 for portraits.(Rangefinder cameras don't focus very closely for head shots)
    (2) Fujica 690-----6X9 for groups, street, scenics.
    (3) Linhof---------6X17 for landscapes.
    (4) Noblex 150----6X12 for wider landscapes.

Too much equipment and too little time!

Texsport

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Good morning, guys;

Have you noticed something here? This is a seventeen year old kid, from California, no less, and he is working with film. He is even here on APUG asking questions of us old geezers!!!

See, there is hope. Not all of them are digi-snappers with the built-in camera in their telephone-texting machine. This kid is real.

Luseboy, welcome to APUG. Go ahead and ask questions and report your observations and your progress. And, do not worry too much about that fascination with equipment. I will merely say that for Medium Format, around here there is a pair of Kiev 88 6x6 cameras with a bunch of lenses for them, and a pair of Koni-Omega Rapid M 6x7 cameras with only two lenses for them, but I admit that I am looking for the Hexanon/Omegaron 4.5/180mm lens for one of them. The other K-O will keep the 4.5/58mm WA lens on it.

Then there is the problem with 35mm gear. Oh, yes, this is not the day of the week for Cameras Anonymous, is it? OK, I will only say that the computer file print out of the camera inventory is now just over 80 pages long, but in defense I will say that it is a detailed inventory.
    Enjoy;

Ralph Javins, Latte Land, Washington

When they ask you; "How many Mega Pixels you got in your camera?"
    just tell them; "I use activated silver bromide crystals tor my image storage media."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Javins View Post
    Good morning, guys;

Have you noticed something here? This is a seventeen year old kid, from California, no less, and he is working with film. He is even here on APUG asking questions of us old geezers!!!
    Good for him!
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin