Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,732   Posts: 1,515,269   Online: 801

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Having multiple MF cameras

Hey,
    So after much thought I have decided that medium format is really what I can use most, because I hate 35mm for serious work, and 4x5 is almost useless for anything but still lifes/landscapes, and even for landscapes its tough because its tiring to carry around that camera for very long. So medium format has really become what i use most, and since I use mainly Pan-F+ with the camera on a tripod, i still get about the same resolution as i do with my 4x5 with tri-x 320. Well I currently own 2 MF cameras, a Yashica A TLR (really just sits on a shelf) and my beloved Bronica s2a, which is pretty new to me, and just got back from Koh's the other day. Well as much as i love the 6x6 format, I'm thinking it would be nice to also have a 645 camera (probably an etrs) and a 6x7 camera (most likely a rb67 or a pentax 67) I'm also looking into some 6x9 cameras and 6x12 cameras. I'm not sure if i'm just too interested in equipment (my dad always says i should stop looking into equipment so much and just work on technique) I know he's right, but i still love getting new cameras. Anyways I'm mainly just wondering how many MF shooters out there use multiple formats? I think the 6x4.5 would be the shit for portraits, and after seeing some of my photo teacher's 6x12 panorama landscapes, I want one of those too. 6x6 is beautiful to me, but sometimes the rectangle is really nice too. And yes I know i can just mask it off in printing, but i refuse to not print full frame anymore (those days are behind me!) so who else does this? is it silly to have a 6x4.5, 6x6, 6x7, 6x9, and 6x12 camera?
    interested in what everyone thinks...
    -Austin

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Images
    Mate, to be honest, it sounds like you worry too much about gear.

In saying that, there's nothing wrong with having a few cameras that do different things.

Good luck.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tomalophicon View Post
    Mate, to be honest, it sounds like you worry too much about gear.

In saying that, there's nothing wrong with having a few cameras that do different things.

Good luck.
    Haha you know what? I think you are right... knowing me, if i were to get all these cameras, i would never know which one i wanted to use. I think i should just use my 4x5 when i want a rectangle... instead of buying new cameras haha.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    What about a 645 camera with rise/fall and shift? Shoot 6x6 and print 645, and that's what you have, because you can take the 645 crop from anywhere in the frame, and you have no rotating back to think about or awkward sideways shooting, which a few MF rectangular format slrs have.

If you really must have 16 frames per roll, there's a 645 back for the S2a, if you can find it.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'll have to keep my eye open for a 645 back... that would be a nice accessory.

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Images
    Also you can shoot roll-film with the large format camera. You could get a 6x17 back for a lot cheaper than a 6x17 camera ( I think!).

Shooter
    35mm
    I happen to hate 645s. The only formats worth having in SLR or TLR format are 6x6 or RB67. The 6x6 because you can crop to whatever rectangle you want, and the RB67 because you can rotate the back. Except in something like the Pentax 6x7 or Mamya 7, rectangular formats without a rotating back are just annoying IMO.

Also, get over your cropophobia.
    f/22 and be there.

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BetterSense View Post
    Also, get over your cropophobia.
    That's a bit mean

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Excuse me, but you are 17. I suggest one of two paths. One is to be a gear slut, crank film through any and everything that comes your way. Hang out at seedy flea markets, cruise the lower bins in the backs of vans, whatever falls into your hands- as long as it has a light-tight box, slide some film in and see how you and it get along. Eventually, the thrill wears off, you find yourself spending more and more time with one camera at a time, and the next thing you know....

You pick one camera and let all the rest wait on the back shelf. Oh, one lens, also. Take it as far as you can. Make it work. There are very few images that can't be made competently with most any camera. Your instinct is right with the medium format- it strikes a nice balance. You just dropped a pretty penny on getting the S2a fixed up, yes? Go with it. It alone. This won't be forever but until you really commit to a camera you won't know what you are really made of. Sure boredom can set in and some day you'll find yourself back on Craigs list, clicking away at all the ones with the pretty orange 'pic' markers, if you know what I mean....

Shoot. Print. Show to people. Rinse lather repeat. If new gear keeps this happening, it's the right thing to do. If new gear keeps you from getting into a groove with your shooting, it's a mistake. It's really not that difficult. Relax. Nothing you do now will be with you forever.
    Last edited by Dan Daniel; 05-24-2011 at 01:43 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You are 17, and it's tiring to carry around a 4X5 camera ?
    When I was your age, I had to carry my 4X5 barefooted ...

Get a friggin' jogging stroller to haul your camera around, CryBaby !!!

A 4X5 Camera, and roll film adapters equal affordability, and versatility.
    And $25.00 should get you a used stroller in great condition.

Ron
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Black Betty 0001A at B.S.P..jpg  

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin