Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,914   Posts: 1,556,286   Online: 982

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: "cheap" SLR

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I would give a vote to the Bronica ETRSi as I have two with lenses and some accessories. Bronica lenses are also available at good prices on ebay or at KEH.

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by pbryld View Post
    Browsing keh.com, It seems that Bronica ETRS is the most affordable from what you suggested (SQ is too, but I would like a rectangular picture). I don't think I have enough expertise to assemble a camera myself.
    Though, this model does now have waist-level viewing, which I understand is what allows for "live viewing", like I enjoy on my DLSR. How big of a disvantage is that?

(EDIT: I meant disadvantage (-: )
    Assembly is just buying the bits--no strain. A WLF on a 645 is a major pain for anything but landscape-oriented shots. Prism finders offer the same orientation flexibility as 35mm or DSLR cameras. The "live view' option is something 35mm SLR shooters managed to live happily without for decades with no ill effect. You won't magically get it via a WLF on an SLR--TLRs and rangefinders can do that since "viewing" and "taking" don't share the same optical path(with attendant advantages and disadvantages). Personally, I think nearly all affordable TLRs--with the exception of late model Mamiyas--aren't the best choice due mainly to age-related issues.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by CGW View Post
    Personally, I think nearly all affordable TLRs--with the exception of late model Mamiyas--aren't the best choice due mainly to age-related issues.
    CGW makes a valid point. These vintage cameras that might be had for $40 shipping included might have age issues like hardened grease that makes focusing hard, and slow or unreliable shutters.

Before buying any vintage camera, you should pm the seller if the focus is smooth and the shutter operates at all speeds. I would avoid a seller who is unwilling to tell you how well the camera seems to operate.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    You are all very helpful! I will definitely take your advice into account.

Would I benefit from trying to get a working TLR on here? :-) Or is that the more expensive choice? I guess it would be a very reliable place to buy.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You are all very helpful! I will definitely take your advice into account.

Would I benefit from trying to get a working TLR on here? :-) Or is that the more expensive choice? I guess it would be a very reliable place to buy.
    I have a yashica A tlr, i'll send you a pm about it.
    But I'd say start out with a tlr and then move up to an slr. I first got a tlr, ran a roll through it, and somehow ended up being able to trade some stuff for my s2a kit. If you want an slr, the bronica s2 or s2a aka: the cheap man's hasselblad, is a very very nice camera and can be had for very inexpensive! If I were you though, i'd start with a tlr and move up in a year or whatever.
    -Austin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Mark Barendt, Beaverton, OR

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Is a TLR a good/cheap way the get "live viewing"? I would like the pictures to come out pretty sharp, but I'd actually prefer the edges a bit blurred. If that is the only disadvantage, I'd go with that. How much am i sacrificing on the overall sharpness though?
    I assume what you mean by 'live view' is looking at a screen rather than through an eyepiece. Whichever you choose, you're still looking at a screen, the only difference is how the image on the screen gets to your eye.

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Images
    Keep in mind TLR is not as easy to use as SLR. The image is reversed left-right and may be difficult to see and focus when the sun is shining on the screen. Also, since it is a square, it will be more difficult to frame your rectangle picture. It is mostly a waist level camera, and not easy to shoot at eye level, or straight down.

If you have $250 to spend I would recommend Mamiya 645E SLR w/80mm lens. Very easy to use and to see with.

Jon
    Mendocino Coast Black and White Photography: www.jonshiu.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Shiu View Post
    Keep in mind TLR is not as easy to use as SLR. The image is reversed left-right and may be difficult to see and focus when the sun is shining on the screen. Also, since it is a square, it will be more difficult to frame your rectangle picture. It is mostly a waist level camera, and not easy to shoot at eye level, or straight down.

If you have $250 to spend I would recommend Mamiya 645E SLR w/80mm lens. Very easy to use and to see with.

Jon
    An slr image will be reversed too... unless you have a prism finder. Or unless my bronica is just wierd. But on my camera, with the chimney or wl finders, the image is reversed... I don't have a prism finder though.
    I acctually find that tlr's, or at least my yashica is easiest to shoot at eye level with the built in magnifier out. That's how I always shoot it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    At today's prices you can get an inexpensive TLR and try it. If you don't like it you should be able to get most if not all of your money out of when you sell it.
    This assumes 1) it works when you buy it and 2) it's still working when you sell it.

The one very important thing to watch for are prices. Some get very high on the bay and if you buy from a dealer remember, he has to make a living so the $$ will be a little more.
    Prices here tend to be below retail and most of the members will stand behind their sales.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin