Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,871   Posts: 1,583,427   Online: 1229

Shooter
    Multi Format

Mamiya Macro Spacer vs. Auto-Ext Ring

I need some guidance. I bought the Mamiya-Sekor Macro C 80/4 lens today. I downloaded the manual for this lens and it talks about using the Macro Spacer to obtain 1:1 magnification. Without it you can get 1:2 magnification. There is a setting on the lens that needs to be set appropriately for using and not using the Macro Spacer.

Now here's my question. I already have a set of 3 genuine Mamiya Auto-Extention Rings (1,2 & 3). Ring #3 looks to be about the same length as the Macro Spacer pictured in the lens manual.

Does anyone know whether the macro spacer and these auto-extention rings are interchangeable? And if so, do I set the selector switch on the lens the same way?
    Pentax 67ii, Fuji GF670, Mamiya 6, Pentax 645N
    Chemical Cameras
    My Galleries

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Images
    You can use your existing extension rings to get closer up focus. It is not necessary to change the lens setting for matched spacer. I believe it is used mainly so the calibration for magnification scale on the lens is correct for use with the macro spacer. I guess that would be used for exposure calculations if you didn't have through-the-lens metering.

Jon
    Mendocino Coast Black and White Photography: www.jonshiu.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks Jon. I wasn't sure exactly what the selection setting on the lens was doing but upon closer inspection I see that it is related to the magnification scale and doesn't really change anything else! I'll give it a try with my auto-ext.
    Pentax 67ii, Fuji GF670, Mamiya 6, Pentax 645N
    Chemical Cameras
    My Galleries

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin