Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,516   Posts: 1,572,147   Online: 1045

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Look at the Mamiya , it looks like a cheap vacuum cleaner. If you need bigger negatives and if you have money , you can find elegant cameras like Linhof. But if you need to buy from these two , nothing beats Leica.

Shooter
    35mm
    By longer I meant physically longer than the 50&35mm Summicrons I currently use. I want the bigger negative but after seeing Suzzane's size comp. I don't think the 7ii is for me right now. Thanks for the replies everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Klainmeister View Post
    Longer lens? The 80mm is about the lightest/smallest lens for that camera. It's smaller than the 43mm, 65mm, and 150mm etc. It's pretty darn light and about as easy to use as any other 35mm out there. Go for the bigger negative and the best possible glass out there, it surely cannot disappoint.

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Images
    Damn that Mamiya thing is one ugly looking chunk of plastic.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well, if I may share my opinion:
    The available Leica lenses I think give much more pleasing out of focus rendition than any of the Mamiya lenses do. I have used Mamiya cameras, and their lenses are sooooo sharp and exhibit amazing contrast. But, and this is a big deal for me, I just don't like how the out of focus stuff looks.

And, with a Leica rangefinder, you do have a much less bulky camera that is capable of making negatives that far exceed many people's wildest imagination. 35mm is a very capable print making medium, if you know how to apply your skill to get there. Having an enlarger that lives up to the quality of the camera is a great start!

If you don't care about the out of focus stuff, then the Mamiya 7 will probably give you better print quality. But print quality is subjective. If you want grain in your prints, 35mm is much better. If you don't want any, you still have options with films like TMax 100 or Acros, which will give you an almost grain free 16x20 print. But if you want grain free, you should probably shoot digital (to quote a good friend)... Jokes aside, picture quality is subjective.

Here's the most important thing: You have to plan this carefully, because odds are you will make the wrong decision if you don't. I think both cameras are more than capable tools with which you can make amazing prints. But you have to examine how you're going to use the camera. Do you want to travel with 120 film? Or 35mm? What speed will you use? How do you like wide apertures? (f/4 for the 80mm is hardly making the Mamiya lens fast). Do you want to use a tripod a lot? Or hand hold? (How about an f/1.4 35mm Summicron at 1/15th of a second, compared to an f/4 80mm Sekor at 1/60th of a second? That is no less than a five (5!) stop difference with the same film, which is HUGE). Do you mind that you only get 10/12 shots with the Mamiya? Or do you like getting 36 shots per roll? Do you hate loading a Leica?

There are so many considerations that I think are almost more important than ultimate picture quality, because surely both cameras have enough of that.
    Last edited by Thomas Bertilsson; 05-30-2011 at 09:49 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If by looking at the photo the camera is too big then it likely will in use. I have a Mamiya 7 and it is much bulkier in use than the M. I have to change styles somewhat. The M is much niftier... faster and sweeter handling for the tight/quick stuff. As Thomas B says, with a good lens on there and half decent technique the prints are amazing.

I don't mind the bokeh of the Mamiya lenses myself, but tend to shoot them more stopped down so its practically irrelevant for me. if I had to keep one, it would be the Leica system. The Mamiya is amazing when that detail is important in v large prints. For evocative.... it matters not and I never worry about quality with the M no matter how big the print might be. I also like grain!

PS the front to back dimentions of the mamiya (lens cap to back door) with a 80mm is about double that of the Leica with a small 35mm. Thats not inconsiderable and ensures the mamiya is not a 'slip under your coat' camera.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Then you should see the monstrous Fuji GW670 that I've been shooting with. It's not heavy but good lord this thing is humongous for a rangefinder. (Much easier to handle than an RB/RZ though.

I'd love to try the Mamiya 7 someday as I love medium format, but 35mm is just so darn convenient. My 1N takes all my sweet Canon lenses.
    - Abram

Mamiya 7II / Hasselblad 500CM

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin