Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,553   Posts: 1,544,930   Online: 831

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Decker View Post
    Yes, I do think that medium format does deserve its own place. A place where there is Rollie TLR forum, Rollie SLR forum, a Yashica TLR forum, Hasselblad SLR forum, and Bronica SLR forums, etc. Would it make a difference if we were more united in a medium format forum and less fractured? Maybe some organized soul would take on the crusade to get Kodak to make runs of 220 film again. Or, maybe if there was a Bronica SLR forum there would be someone who could show me how to make a tool to release an extension tube that won't come off my SQ-Ai body. Maybe the work of someone else would motivate you to get a Pentacon Six with a Sonar lens that breathes new life into your photography.
    So, let us know when you have your new forum up and running!

Seriously, if you feel a need that has not been met by someone else and you are passionate enough about it, there are tools available to get things going. It really doesn't cost the earth to setup a forum (Buy some hosting from Dreamhost or similar to start with, use PHPBB3 software, which is open source and free), it just takes time....lots of freaken time!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I see that we have ~20 posts every day in that APUG branch. Not enough for a special forum. We'd not enough traffic there.
    ---
    Uwe Pilz

Shooter
    Multi Format
    maybe if there was a Bronica SLR forum there would be someone who could show me how to make a tool to release an extension tube that won't come off my SQ-Ai body.
    BUG.
    Bronica User's Group.
    http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/bronica/

Though you could still ask the question here and it's very possible someone here knows.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I could get a 220 back for my RB67 for cheap but generally don't need 20 exposures. I like the shorter 120 rolls. I hate waiting to finish 24 or 36 exposure 135, love the short, 8/10/12 120 exposures in my 6x9/6x7/6x6 cameras!
    Harry Pulley - Visit the BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE FORUM

Happiness is...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sounds great! Which medium format will it be centred on? If it ends up being all the big tough 6x7 guys, then the little fellas like me that like their 645's will feel too threatened to post... hmmm, maybe a 645 specific forum too? Just a thought...

My goal in life, is to be as good a person as my dog already thinks I am.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes, I do think that medium format does deserve its own place. A place where there is Rollie TLR forum, Rollie SLR forum, a Yashica TLR forum, Hasselblad SLR forum, and Bronica SLR forums, etc. Would it make a difference if we were more united in a medium format forum and less fractured? Maybe some organized soul would take on the crusade to get Kodak to make runs of 220 film again. Or, maybe if there was a Bronica SLR forum there would be someone who could show me how to make a tool to release an extension tube that won't come off my SQ-Ai body. Maybe the work of someone else would motivate you to get a Pentacon Six with a Sonar lens that breathes new life into your photography.
    Oh please!

Dig in the APUG archives for the 220 campaign there was here a while ago.

Dig deeper and you will see all sorts of people talking about Hasselblads, ROLLEIS (watch your spelling), and Bronicas. And there's plenty of posts and photos here on the 180 Sonnar for the Pentacon Six.

If you really feel the need to have a separate MF community, then start your own forum. Software is free, you just have to pay for the bandwidth, maintenance, and updates.
    Using film since before it was hip.

"One of the most singular characters of the hyposulphites, is the property their solutions possess of dissolving muriate of silver and retaining it in considerable quantity in permanent solution" — Sir John Frederick William Herschel, "On the Hyposulphurous Acid and its Compounds." The Edinburgh Philosophical Journal, Vol. 1 (8 Jan. 1819): 8-29. p. 11

My APUG Portfolio

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The problem with APUG/DPUG for me (and I suspect many others) is that I shoot Medium Format film but scan for printing and sharing. Having to read APUG for the topics on operating my camera and DPUG for how I handle the image taken creates a truly bizarre seperation that results in my reading APUG infrequently and posting even less frequently. But I accept that it's a decision that's been made and is not up for discussion. A MF dedicated forum that crossed the film/hybrid/digital frontier would get my support..

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Alastair_I View Post
    The problem with APUG/DPUG for me (and I suspect many others) is that I shoot Medium Format film but scan for printing and sharing. Having to read APUG for the topics on operating my camera and DPUG for how I handle the image taken creates a truly bizarre seperation that results in my reading APUG infrequently and posting even less frequently. But I accept that it's a decision that's been made and is not up for discussion. A MF dedicated forum that crossed the film/hybrid/digital frontier would get my support..
    Your post describes my personal situation as well. Thank you for articulating it clearly.
    Last edited by Jay Decker; 05-31-2011 at 02:14 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    If there's really interest in it, I'll host it... I've got a huge server just sitting idle since all my clients keep going out of business...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewluke View Post
    If there's really interest in it, I'll host it... I've got a huge server just sitting idle since all my clients keep going out of business...
    Here is my gut assessment based upon my observations and thinking:

- Worldwide, there are more than enough medium format photographers to create a thriving internet community dedicated to medium format photography.

- The medium format community is fragmented between many photo sites.

- A successful medium format community would have to be inclusive, i.e., welcome digital capture, hybrid, and traditional photographers, similar to the large format photography forums and rangefinder forums.
    If you are seriously interested in creating a medium format community, I am glad to help with the planning, organization, and operation that is necessary for a successful community. I think that the guys who run the other communities will help by sharing their experience.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin