Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,523   Posts: 1,543,814   Online: 789

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm

use 120 film in 220 RB back?

Is there any way to load 120 film in the 220 RB67 Pro backs? I have an 220 back and I've been trying to decide what to do with it since I can't buy 220 film anymore. It would be useful if I could load 120. I know some cameras had different pressure plate settings, but the backing paper is so thin, I can hardly imagine it making a difference in focus.
    f/22 and be there.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I have done it before, it's fine. Main thing is the counter may screw up, but it's no big deal. Just try it with some film you don't care about too much, the first time, and check it out.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My fried Hae Ran does it all the time. She shoots nothing but 120, but only has a 220 back.

What you don't want to do is do it the other way around: 220 in a 120 back. The pressure plate will not hold the film firmly against the gate.

Why can't you get 220 any more?

I'd just get a 120 insert (or a whole 120 back) eventually, considering how cheap they can be.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    lol Reading some comments in CGW's link, I get the impression that some think the Earth will be thrown off axis if somebody dares venture a little off the prescribed path. Look, you can run 35mm film through your rb backs too. Go nuts, live a little
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    From the RB67 section of Mamiya USAs FAQ section of their website (scroll down to the bottom):

http://www.mamiya-usa.com/customer-s...67-pro-sd.html
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by keithwms View Post
    lol Reading some comments in CGW's link, I get the impression that some think the Earth will be thrown off axis if somebody dares venture a little off the prescribed path. Look, you can run 35mm film through your rb backs too. Go nuts, live a little
    Great, eh? Such an adventuresome crew! Recalled why I bailed on PN several years ago.

Shooter
    35mm
    Is it possible to buy a 120 insert for my 220 back, then?

I can't get 220 film because they don't make it anymore. Except that newfangled colorizing stuff.
    f/22 and be there.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes, to arrive at a 120 back from what you have now, all you need is the insert (and a way to protect the other insert from damage when you are not using it). A whole back may not be that much more expensive, though.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I do this regularly. Works fine, just remember when the counter reads 11 you are done.
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin