Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,969   Posts: 1,558,536   Online: 1053

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    JP - Great story thanks for writing it up for us!

2F - Totally agree! Was at the pool taking photos of my kids while they were swimming with my wife and got a comment of admiration of my 645 camera from a teenage folk who probably never has seen such neat equipment. Was expecting her to wonder why I was shooting film but instead she was quite happy to see someone using such a neat film camera.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    No, but one asked if it used 35mm film!
    At least no one asked if it used 120mm film!

My first camera was a Rolleiflex (MX-EVS). My dad had gotten it as a birthday present from his sister, and as it happens, my year of birth. Bought in a PX in Spain. Dad had a 35mm adapter in it and took all the family slides/snapshots until we started to go backpacking and my dad "upgraded" with a lighter Instamatic 804...about 1970, give or take a few years. My sister took a photo class, but dropped the class, so the camera came to me in 1975, and the rest is history.

That Rollei is no longer in working condition, but I always have a working one -- my 2.8F will be going with me on a solo backpack for a week starting tomorrow or Thursday...might also take along with a 6x9 folder. I guess it attracts attention, though I don't really notice all that much. If you want to attract attention, push a triple baby stroller with three 4-month-old boys in it...in front of the grandstands before the start of a college football game. I was just looking for a place to park the thing and as I passed the stands it was like an inverted "wave". From one end of the grandstands and following me the entire length of the stands was a wave of quiet and murmurs of "Oh, my", Oh, look.", "Awwwww", "Thank god that's not me". Now that is attention. So is an 8x10.

Vaughn
    Last edited by Vaughn; 06-01-2011 at 12:33 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Every time I bring out my Rolleiflex and or RB67 I get comments from people.

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A rolleiflex is just such a thing of beauty, the craftmanship is sublime, so using one just makes you feel good. Here, most people think that it is some kind of box camera, which I suppose it is!
    I kind of like that odd one out situation, maybe I'm kinda weird!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I've had a few reactions from folks when using my Pentax 67 kit.

But nothing compared to the reaction of other photographers when I use my Fotoman 617 panoramic. I've had a good number of photographers approach me and have interesting conversations.

A few seemed to think it impossible to take pictures without an internal meter, and some seem fascinated, asking to look through the viewfinder etc. Most of the photographers all had high-end digital kit, but seemed unaware about medium format or film in general.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have a plain old vanilla Automat that I bought cheap a few years ago, that gets a lot of looks on the streets. It's funny, dealers and photographers look at it and say "What happened to it?" and fuss over its appearance, whereas everyone else sees it and smiles. It's always taken nice photos for me, and thanks to this thread I think I'll take it out for some exercise this weekend
    Those who know, shoot film

Happy Valley - Goose Bay, Newfoundland and Labrador
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    So far in the bit of shooting I've done with my Lubitel 166, has got me some rather interesting looks from passers-by.

No one has approached me yet though. I suspect when I get out to shoot in a bigger town that might change. lol
    threemilesfinal.com - An Aviation Industry and Aviation Photography Blog.
    Canon XSi for the Digital and a Lubitel 166B for the Analog. I'm a Medium Format and Film n00b!

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    In public I get some attention when I use my new Zeiss Ikon. It goes like this:

"Hey man, great camera. Is that a Leica?"

"No, it's a Zeiss. Nice camera, I like it a lot."

"Oh, thought it was a Leica."

:-)

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I recently worked in a camera shop for about 10 years until it was outdone by modern electronic image making equipment. During that time I was able to use almost any camera that came through our shop but never gave a Rollei a try. I think it was a lack of lens choice that prevented me. However, since then I had the opportunity to buy a Rolleiflex 3.5E at a good price and have fallen in love with it. Lens is stunning, not too heavy for carrying about and if I only had my darkroom back I'm cetain the images would be stunners. However, that being the case that I now don't have darkroom I am able to do salt prints which I normally use my 5x4 - 5x7 B&J. However in the last few weeks I've had a go at 6x6 salts and have found a new love which doesn't intrude on the domestic scene! (There are couple of prints in my small gallery.
    So - perhaps the Rollei IS iconic,, but its also a great performer.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I rarely got any comments from outsiders when I was shooting with a very nice black Leica M4 but when I'm out with my Rollie I always get some attention. Of all great classic cameras it must be the most iconic. The price reflects that too.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin