Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 73,594   Posts: 1,622,319   Online: 1001

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Every time I bring out my Rolleiflex and or RB67 I get comments from people.

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A rolleiflex is just such a thing of beauty, the craftmanship is sublime, so using one just makes you feel good. Here, most people think that it is some kind of box camera, which I suppose it is!
    I kind of like that odd one out situation, maybe I'm kinda weird!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've had a few reactions from folks when using my Pentax 67 kit.

But nothing compared to the reaction of other photographers when I use my Fotoman 617 panoramic. I've had a good number of photographers approach me and have interesting conversations.

A few seemed to think it impossible to take pictures without an internal meter, and some seem fascinated, asking to look through the viewfinder etc. Most of the photographers all had high-end digital kit, but seemed unaware about medium format or film in general.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have a plain old vanilla Automat that I bought cheap a few years ago, that gets a lot of looks on the streets. It's funny, dealers and photographers look at it and say "What happened to it?" and fuss over its appearance, whereas everyone else sees it and smiles. It's always taken nice photos for me, and thanks to this thread I think I'll take it out for some exercise this weekend
    Those who know, shoot film

Happy Valley - Goose Bay, Newfoundland and Labrador
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    So far in the bit of shooting I've done with my Lubitel 166, has got me some rather interesting looks from passers-by.

No one has approached me yet though. I suspect when I get out to shoot in a bigger town that might change. lol
    threemilesfinal.com - An Aviation Industry and Aviation Photography Blog.
    Canon XSi for the Digital and a Lubitel 166B for the Analog. I'm a Medium Format and Film n00b!

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    In public I get some attention when I use my new Zeiss Ikon. It goes like this:

"Hey man, great camera. Is that a Leica?"

"No, it's a Zeiss. Nice camera, I like it a lot."

"Oh, thought it was a Leica."

:-)

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I recently worked in a camera shop for about 10 years until it was outdone by modern electronic image making equipment. During that time I was able to use almost any camera that came through our shop but never gave a Rollei a try. I think it was a lack of lens choice that prevented me. However, since then I had the opportunity to buy a Rolleiflex 3.5E at a good price and have fallen in love with it. Lens is stunning, not too heavy for carrying about and if I only had my darkroom back I'm cetain the images would be stunners. However, that being the case that I now don't have darkroom I am able to do salt prints which I normally use my 5x4 - 5x7 B&J. However in the last few weeks I've had a go at 6x6 salts and have found a new love which doesn't intrude on the domestic scene! (There are couple of prints in my small gallery.
    So - perhaps the Rollei IS iconic,, but its also a great performer.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I rarely got any comments from outsiders when I was shooting with a very nice black Leica M4 but when I'm out with my Rollie I always get some attention. Of all great classic cameras it must be the most iconic. The price reflects that too.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I was at Chaco canyon with my Mamiya c330 and a 250mm sticking off the end. Everyone, including the ranger, were interested in it. Actually, while composing a shot, it looked like I was giving one of those Ranger talks...pretty funny.

One thing that is consistent with these beautiful, big cameras, is that people always smile. I've never seen someone frown. There's power in these boxes.
    K.S. Klain

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I've had a few people stare, but other than from fellow film shooters, not many comments. I think people are afraid of me when I'm toting the Pentax 6x7 around. I did have my P645 out in a group of people with DSLRs a couple of weeks ago (touring a light station at Big Sur), and it wasn't the look of the camera that attracted attention so much as the sound of the winder! People don't hear much of that sound anymore, but they remember it from a few years ago.
    Pentax: 6x7 MLU
    Olympus: OM-1n
    Graflex: Miniature (2x3) Speed Graphic

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin