Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,685   Posts: 1,548,583   Online: 1161

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

A rolleiflex is still something iconic

I went to the grand-am rolex race yesterday at lime rock park in CT. It's a gathering of about 10000+ race fans of above average affluence. We can wander about anywhere except the track and pit line during the race. I carried a DSLR with a 300/2.8, a DSLR with a smaller kit lens, and a rolleiflex (an older automat mx). As the paddock area was open at all times, there was always interesting prep and repair activities going.

I had at least 4 of the official orange vested photographers come up and give some credit for using film in a good film camera. I mentioned the film is better than ever and I like shooting some B&W. A couple other fans came up and talked about it too. While I was checking out a ferarri p4, someone came up and mentioned his mother had a camera like that and it's been a long time since he's seen it. I suggested he use it because it can do a good job. Since about every other person there had a DSLR (the other half had phone-cameras), people'd pay attention to what I shot since I was the odd guy out. I'd find an unusual view or position and make a photo and after moving on, a couple other people would be right there checking out the spot.

I only had one person (probably a gearhead of some sort) who was working a booth ask about my 300mm lens. To walk around with a newish DSLR and an expensive telephoto or tele-zoom is not unusual. It's unusual, but kinda nice to blend right in aiming and shooting a big dslr with a 300/2.8 on it.

I shot 5 rolls of 120 TMY2 and I can't wait to process them. (I also shot 400 frames on the DSLRs, for those interested in the comparison of shooting styles)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I've noticed this too. Even shooting a manual 35mm SLR people notice you, and if you pull out an old folder or TLR you really get stared at...

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Even my little 35mm rangefinder gets that type of attention at national parks and other popular venues. I love the industrial art that went into these cameras. They are and will always be iconic.
    K.S. Klain

Shooter
    35mm
    I had the same experience while in Shanghai recently. Several Chinese people commented on the Yashica TLR I was using but no one paid attention to the Nikon DSLR I also had with me.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The Hasselblad is also iconic.

But you should have seen the reactions to my using a Speed Graphic at an airshow two weeks ago ...
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    During the 1950s, my Dad had a number of jobs. The most durable was his stint as a high school principal. Of course, in those days, teachers were not paid in the summer. That meant he needed a summer job. One summer he took on the job of a newspaper reporter/photographer and the company camera was a Rolleiflex. I wuzza kid and duly impressed; its probably the reason that I own two of them now. They seem to be something of an anachronism, but a pleasant and interesting one at that.
    Geo.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It's amazing the credibility a weird camera will give even a schlep amateur. On the first time out stumbling around with my C33 on a hippie strap at an orchid greenhouse, never before having used a WL focus, fumbling and double-exposing, trying to figure out my light meter (read the manual? Heck no, I'm a programmer) a guy was waiting an interminable length of time for me to compose a shot said, "Oh, serious photography going on here." Boy, did I have him fooled.

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    But you should have seen the reactions to my using a Speed Graphic at an airshow two weeks ago ...
    Did they ask if it was a Hasselblad?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Kids seem to really love the old cameras too, especially medium format. For most of them, it is perhaps the first time they have actually seen one.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by tomalophicon View Post
    Did they ask if it was a Hasselblad?
    No, but one asked if it used 35mm film!
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin