Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,494   Posts: 1,543,005   Online: 758

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

Speedex Special R - fixed and test shots...

Received and rehabbed this camera yesterday (a personal speed record). Had the usual problems - stuck rangefinder, bad bellows, stuttering self timer, though the shutter was working handsomely. The camera was aesthetically in wonderful shape. Cleaned the old lube and added new, replaced the Apotar elements with some Solinar ones I had, and replaced the bellows with a set from Sandeha Lynch. Collimated the lens, adjusted the rangefinder, and loaded it up last night.

Speedex Special R by Scott --, on Flickr

Took it to my daughter's softball game (and subsequent playground antics) to test it out. Shots at f/16 and f/5.6.

img024a by Scott --, on Flickr

img019a by Scott --, on Flickr

img020a by Scott --, on Flickr

The scans are a touch on the soft side, but looking at the negatives through a loupe, the images are sharp. Need to figure out a better 6x6 holder, apparently.

It's been a long time since I've used a folder, and I'm happy with this one. The Solinar is a great lens; I need to throw some Reala in the camera and see how it does with color.

Scott

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I have one of these which was a gift from another member of this forum. It has had a total refurbishment including new bellows and the shutter has been cleaned and lubricated. It is like new.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yep, I have the same camera, and it is half way back to life. The gremlin in the rangefinder is likely the green grease old agfa's are infamous for. It can be bathed in naptha to loosen the crud.

The OEM bellows, of that plastic crap over fabric are always dying. Mine are mostly recoated with black RTV silicone gasket making material, and the fixes are progressing well. The last light leaks are likely where I have yet to glue the bellows back into the camera. It ain't pretty, but for now I have not ordered new bellows.

The use challenge I have is remembering to manually cock the shutter after winding the film on, and to try to get use to advancing the film before a shot, rather than right after it, because of the auto double expsoure prevention 'feature' and no shutter release button lock.
    my real name, imagine that.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Mike, I've never had luck loosening Agfa's green cement with naphtha. I've settled on a few shots from a warm hair drier - heat always starts the grease into reliquifying. Then you just thread the pieces apart. Works on the lens elements and the rangefinder wheel. Then I remove the old lube with xylene, usually applied with a very small brass brush or cotton swab.

I've used Sandeha's bellows many, many times, in both 6x6 and large format. You might want to contact him when the time comes to fully replace the old ones.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hmm ... nice work, Scott.

Wintertime is good - I stick the stuck elements onto a radiator for an hour or so. Seems to be the ideal temp.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Well, I ended up tweaking the collimation a little, checked it against the rangefinder once, twice, three times, and seems dead-on now. Loading it up with Reala this weekend!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Dang! If'n I had your expertise I never woulda sold the thing! Glad it's getting some good use!

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin