Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,993   Posts: 1,524,248   Online: 1065

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    I would do some research into which would be easiest to have serviced, and the availability of spare parts.
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by benjiboy View Post
    I would do some research into which would be easiest to have serviced, and the availability of spare parts.
    That's a very good suggestion. I know of quite a couple of places that will service a Hasselblad. There is a serious shortage of parts for older lenses with Compur shutters, so the newer CF, CFi, and CFE lenses are definitely to prefer. But they are also more expensive, by far.

I'm not sure about Bronica.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The first time I owned a Hasselblad was 30 or so years ago, and I could only afford one lens. Loved working with it, but finally got frustrated with that situation and traded it for a new F3 and three lenses.
    Fast forward a few years and I still have the F3 but I also have some Hasselblad gear which gets much more use.

That said, my recommendation would be to try both out, and see what fits you the best. There are around 50 years worth of lenses available, the older ones can be obtained cheaply, and the glass is still great.

Worst case, working for a while with "just" an 80 is not so bad, and some find the "one lens" thing to be liberating.

Alternatively, if you want to really embrace "one lens" consider a TLR, light weight, compact, simple, they are what WLF square format cameras are all about.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I have both: 500c/m and an SQ-A (not i). What you suggest was exactly my experience in terms of cost: I have one 500c/m with the 80 Planar and a couple of backs, and the SQ-A with 50, 65, 80 and 150 and a couple of backs and winder/grip, and I bet the Bronica stuff cost only a bit more than the Hassy and lens alone. Re: holding the cameras, while I do think the Hassy is a bit nicer to hold if you have just the camera, I can say that I really like using the manual winder/side grip on the Bronica. Very quick and smooth film advance, trigger shutter button, and when I'm not shooting I can easier hold the camera hanging in one hand at my side. Note I've not said anything about image, as I don't feel I've shot enough with either to say one is better than the other.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well I recently went through the same (almost) dilemna. I had a really nice 35mm (alpa) that I wanted to trade for a 6x6. I orignally thought I'd hold out for a hassy, but when I was offered a Bronica s2a, I couldn't resist. I decided that the s2a is a better camera for me. Yes the hassy is a beautiful camera, and no doubt one of the best out there. But I was able to get 4 lenses, tons of film, and other stuff with it as a straight trade for my alpa and 2 lenses. The hassy would have been more like one slightly beat up body and a lens or two. Having extra lenses is really important to me, I do everything with this camera, Landscapes, Portraits, lots of stuff. It's a great camera, and if I had gotten a hassy, it would have just gotten in the way; I would have been too caught up with taking care of it than taking pictures. A hassy would be a great studio-only camera in my opinion, but for me, I would be too scared to take it out into the field too much, they're just worth way too much money. It's kind of like driving a ferrari, you don't want to drive the thing fast for fear of having a rock chip your paint or something. That's why you always see the guys in honda civics driving fastest and craziest, they aren't worried about messing anything up. For me it just made sense to have the less-expensive camera with some more accesories. Also, there really isn't going to be much difference in the final image, you might notice a bit more sharpness from the hassy if it's like a mural sized print, but I don't think it's going to make any difference in smaller prints. My vote would be bronica.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bdial View Post
    Alternatively, if you want to really embrace "one lens" consider a TLR
    That's what I do. I have a Rolleicord which means that I don't use the RB67 with the 90mm lens very often. It's good with a 50 or 180 though.

Steve.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    If you love gear, then maybe it's worth saving for the 'blad, but if you're more into just taking photos and gear is not that important, the Bronica is more than enough for any of us, I'd have thought.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you cant live with a bronica, get a Hassy, if you dont care about brand , get the Bronica. Spend the difference on the extra lens, or a couple bricks of film. Worse case if you hate the Bronica you can sell it at little loss (or no loss) and buy the Hassy from there.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    I've always wanted a Gibson ES 335

Then you should get one! I had wanted a Gretsch guitar for many years but couldn't really justify the expense. When I joined a rockabilly band five years ago, I realised that if I didn't get one when I had the perfect excuse (I mean reason) then I would never get one. I certainly didn't need it as I had a suitable guitar already but that's not always the point.

To relate this to cameras, if you have an idea that you want/need a Hasselblad, however illogical, the best thing to do would be to get one and try it. If it works out, that's great. If not it can always be sold for no or little loss. On the other hand, if you buy something like the Bronica but still long for the Hasselblad, you will never be satisfied even if the camera is perfectly good for your use.

It all comes down to being happy with the equipment in the way it handles, looks and the way it makes you feel. With few exceptions, most photographers have cameras which are better than their owners need them to be in the same way as my Gretsch is better than my needs/abilities. The Aria guitar I already had was perfectly capable but not what I wanted.

Steve.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have both systems, but while the Hasselblad feels and looks like such a quality camera, I find that I shoot the Bronica more often. The Bronica has the manual speed grip for winding that is very convenient. Both have waist level finders but the Bronica is brighter and easier to focus in bright light than my Hasselblad. If I could only have one system, it would be a tough choice, but I would probably keep the Bronica.

Dave

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin